October 2021 Rundown

Went down on the week they opened. Absolutely fantastic as always.

10 Likes

How was the meal? Been meaning to go here!

Great opportunity to bang bang with Heritage BBQ.

3 Likes

it was fantastic, a lot better than my first meal there pre-michelin. solid two stars.

Sorry for the pic dump without descriptions, will do my best to give them to you if you ask!

Brother sushi and anajak Thai omakase Tuesday

11 Likes

Didn’t do much eating in LA this month.

Here’s Soul Belly from Las Vegas…

5 Likes

Tanakaya (Tustin)
Udon with pork, poached egg, fish cake and vegetables

Oliboli (Tustin)
Golden boxes were gone by 1PM. Grabbed a random assortment to share with my sister. In random order: glazed, gauva, lemon, apple fritter, bumbleberry, pumpkin spice.
The guava glaze comes third to my all-time favorites: lemon and pistachio.

Arturo’s Puff Tacos (Whittier)
Pro-tip: salsa on the side if getting them to go. They held up well on the 5 minute drive home before we dug in and sauced them up. For heat-loving folks, the green salsa packs quite the punch. I mixed both red and green for the perfect balance.

21 Likes

Damn how was the apple fritter?! That’s my jam

The apple fritter was quite good and amazing fresh from the fryer. I do wish that the apple pieces were bigger, though.

2 Likes

benu

neorest 700h
:heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart:

11 Likes

Free of charge to use?! If so, the food must be good there.

3 Likes

Not gonna lie I would sit down to pee on that glorious toilet that would greet my buttocks with a warmth that only a Toto can give

4 Likes

Pizza Wagon. Looks good!

But, I can tell Anthony (the owner) wasn’t working today. Because as @lapizzamaven has mentioned, it can be too thick.

Thick…

… and thick…

Ugh.

8 Likes

I had Pizza Wagon yesterday. Anthony was working and my pie was still on the thicker side. Still delicious.

2 Likes

looks like a reminder to “keep it thin crust” when ordering is a wise move!

2 Likes

It was a stupid postmates order.

I did put in the notes :: “ PLEASE MAKE THIS THIN — EXTRA THIN IF POSSIBLE”

2 Likes

oh well, this thickness issue needs to be monitored!

1 Like

Ali’i Fish Company (which I first heard about here) is opening a second location in Torrance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVlxgSNvrKo/

6 Likes

Damn I’m so down for this! Thanks for letting everyone know.

1 Like

The best Peruvian in North OC. Higo Chicken. Everything is flavorful and on point.

Must order these monster home made fries. Crispy and creamy inside. Better than In N Out by a country mile.

Juicy well seasoned rotisserie chicken.

Sweet caramelized plantains to offset the aji sauce.

Forgot to take a pic of the lomo saltado but it’s also a must order. Great wok hei. My kids turned around when they were cooking the dish to see the flame 2-3 feet into the air. I told them wok hei means dragons breathe and they immediately understood. The sauce on top of the rice with a piece of onion, meat and aji is one of those wonderful bites.

Lots of take out orders. Lots of locals and regulars. Always good, nice people and one of those local restaurants you love to support.

14 Likes