October 2022 Rundown

Cream pan yay! Also Hamada-ya does a great rendition too although they use fresh crème instead of custard cream.

9 Likes

#TeamCustard all the way

5 Likes

Chinese delivery came with sourcing disclosure.

1 Like

Are you sure they are using a coal oven and not a charcoal oven? Coal is fossil fuel, a natural product. Commercial charcoal on the other hand is manufactured by human by killing trees.

1 Like

Of course I’m sure.

tori! tory! toré! has done it again…

Shiitake…

Amish chicken teba saki…

Extra bite on these marvelous wings…

Getting ready to smoke runny center uzura (quail eggs)…

Using hay to create that “Hay Hei” on those quail eggs…

Meiji mapo tofu, with chicken & pork…

Tsukune, raw egg, nori…

Hottodoggu… Dylan’s tribute to the iconic post-clubbing L.A. dog.

Set list…

Big props to Dylan Ho and his crew, and huge thanks to @CiaoBob & @LouisianaMouth for hosting! For any of you out there considering booking this, just do it.

Instagram: @tori.tory.tore

23 Likes

Milk farm has some great sandwiches on bub and grandma bread. Also their cheese is spectacular albeit sticker shockingly expensive.

11 Likes

No photos but my table of four went to Luyu Dumplings and ate quite a bit.

My standouts? The spicy noodles; the dumplings with pork and lotus root (really terrific); and something I ordered at my tablemates urging “egg rolls.” I believe we received Shandong Style egg roll - which if anyone out there can help me articulate? It had a visual similarity to a beef roll with the wrapper made of egg. The interior was a swiss roll type, however it had a non-sweet piece of fried bread/fat noodle? It also had greens (similar to lettuce) and probably something between sesame and peanut butter. It was a taste combination that was totally new to me, and something that I would not be able to order in a westernized restaurant.

https://www.luyudumplings.com/

5 Likes

Added in most of this month’s fun food in one place.

Happy October :yum: Matsutake is very tasty this month! Not in any order but all happiness & tastiness. Good news: Yasu San at Innaba will be back soon. His daughter has just arrived last Saturday.

What will be on next month’s diet :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Any suggestions?
Sorry for the long scary scroll. Happy Halloween :yum:

13 Likes

Langers, Day Bird, Howlin’ Ray’s, Sonoratown, Holbox, La Unica, Tire Shop Taqueria, Tokyo Fried Chicken, Dough Box, Chi Spacca

4 Likes

@moonboy403 I like Sonoratown catering tray :two_hearts::+1:

1 Like

I vote Holbox first.

5 Likes

mori

2 Likes

Mori San said hi to you that night :bowing_woman: @PorkyBelly The new amaebi otsumami was nice. They will have one or two special holiday dinners in December for the holidays.

3 Likes

i meant mori sushi on pico with maru-san.

3 Likes

@PorkyBelly Maybe I should head over there to collect more matsutake :fallen_leaf:

2 Likes

OK! Booked for Friday :smile:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: November 2022 Rundown

how was ssal? review forthcoming?

1 Like

My short answer: it’s a must stop, even if I can only have one city stop (SF) before Harbor House :two_hearts: Star worthy :star:

I’ll give you my food report after getting my Korean snacks at the grocery store :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I had a little adventure from LA to SF during rush hours that Friday, driving off road on a petroleum field… Junsoo shared his private garage parking spot to help me catch the last seating. It was too kind of him in the middle of service hours :face_holding_back_tears: Low-key saying… if anyone wanna eat SSAL, I’ll drive you to SF lol

Chef Simon from Marden’s Chicken Rice and chef Junsoo used to work together. Simon told me about that. What a small and cool world :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

I visited 2 days before matsutake hit SSAL tho. I need to come back soon!

2 Likes