Of bread, toasts, and everything else in-between

Great timing :slight_smile: Just saw this as we’re sitting here eating sandwiches using lightly toasted from bread I just made. Mmm. LOL. Wouldn’t life be boring if we all liked the same things? And expensive. Imagine the competition.

So I guess you are eating some supermarket sandwich “bread” ?

yes, I eat that shit supermarket sandwich bread that needs to be toasted because I’m a pleb.

3 Likes

I don’t ever eat “supermarket sandwich bread.”

This is a ridiculous comment

3 Likes

I love bread. I don’t discriminate. Whether it comes from a supermarket, a bakery, or fresh baked from my oven.

Toast it!! Don’t toast it!! Whatever makes you happy at that time, do it!! Right?

Piss off to anybody who has a problem with that.

And who needs anyone else’s validation? I don’t!!! (thank you in advance for “liking” this comment)

12 Likes

Exactly – just your opinion. Mine is that some bread is greatly improved by toasting, and I’m not talking about crappy bread either.

1 Like

Totally. For the last few months I (and we) have been making our bread. It’s the best toast we’ve ever had. Both for breakfast, sandwich for lunch and a ‘side’ with dinner. We’ve both gained weight :smile: He needed to, I didnt.

3 Likes

Here is a great, easy recipe, Beautiful Burger Buns

2 Likes

Oh cool. I want to do this. I’m still so feeble when it comes to bread :slight_smile: This looks easy?

1 Like

Cath - I took a quick read. Haven’t made this recipe but it looks dandy. The hardest part wold be the kneading but if you mix it in your Kitchen Aid (I think you have one, if I am recalling correctly) the rest is easy peasy.

Happy baking!

Alright. I’m going to try this. Not today but soon. But since this thread got split off due to the ‘ruined when frozen’ issue (ha!), is there some point in the process when these could be frozen? Thanks. Bob will freak when I tell him that we’re going to make buns :slight_smile: And, yes, @Happybaker, good memory I do have a stand mixer.

Here’s a great post I found with fab info about freezing bread. Bottom line? Big crumb stuff like baguettes or ciabatta? Not so good. Tighter crumbed bread like dinner rolls, coffee cakes, sandwich bread? Way doable!

https://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-way-to-freeze-and-thaw-bread-246477

My mom would often make her yeast rolls before thanksgiving, par bake them, cool, wrap and freeze them and thaw them the day of and bake in the oven just before serving. They were dandy. But again - fine crumb : )

Happy baking to you!

1 Like

Thanks so much. It still makes me nervous, which is funny since I’m not sure there’s anything with cheaper ingredients than bread :smile:

1 Like

I’m such a pleb. I toasted these.

4 Likes

So does Ball Park make burgers?

King’s Hawaiian makes a proper burger bun that is leagues better than the 4-pack of kings hawaiian rolls used as burger buns @ Dog Haus. Can be found at Gelsons.

https://www.kingshawaiian.com/products/hamburger-buns

4 Likes