Of Macau Egg Tarts, Hong Kong Tofu Flower and Black Sesame Puree!

Done

2 Likes

I went to VP this weekend and was super excited to try their black sesame puree. It was Saturday, shortly after 12 pm. I was saddened when I got home and saw the consistency of the puree - thick and kind of goopy. My conclusion was that they must use a thickening starch, a process known as “開粉.” The sesame seeds could benefit from more roasting too as the flavor wasn’t as strong as I’d like.

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

@Chowseeker1999

I just came across this video and this is what I meant by a black sesame puree having the right viscosity.

More goop like sesame puree that I had yesterday at Phoenix in Rowland Height.

1 Like

Any thoughts about the Black Sesame Puree from Phoenix Inn/Food Boutique? I actually enjoy their version.

The picture I posted above is from Phoenix in Rowland Height. Maybe I’ll try the one on Valley and New Ave for research.

@LAFoodiePanda

I just got this from the Phoenix on Valley and New Ave. It’s much better than the Rowland Height location since it’s much less goopy. As far as flavor goes, I’m a little sick so I can’t make a judgement on that.

2 Likes

Thanks for making the effort to try out a different Phoenix FB location. It looks yummy! Feel better!

2 Likes

It’s been 2.5+ years since the initial post. Kee Wah prices now are $1.80 for signature egg tarts and $2.00 for Portuguese egg tarts. The flaky crust on the signature tart is good but a bit eggy. I think I like Portuguese egg tarts better.

3 Likes

Majority opinion.

1 Like

#TeamDanTat

Fabulous video! And funny, as I am trying to find the right poppyseed grinder, I kept looking at the video, to see that they were using. They did not show it but form what I can tell - maybe a meat grinder? So cool, thanks for posting this!