Old-School, Neighborhood Izakaya - The Japanese Pub that happens to Hand Make Soba Noodles - Otafuku

The mackerel was lightly cured and quite delicious. It disappeared quickly between the three of us. A substantial portion for $12.

1 Like

Agree. The eel tempura in particular has always been a grease bomb. I finally stopped ordering it. Noodles are fantastic and the reason to go.

If you manage to hit Otafuku at lunch be sure to stop at Meiji Tofu across the street for some super fresh takeout. They close early, like 1 or 2pm.

3 Likes

Meiji Tofu should have its own thread. Los Angeles treasure worth the extra $$.
Also available at many Japanese supermarkets (Mitsuwa, Nijiya, Tokyo Central/Marukai).

4 Likes

It’s still a bargain!!!

1 Like

No. :frowning: But yah on non-90 degree days, or when it cools off in the evening it’s fine. But still no AC.

Here’s the list!

http://www.meijitofu.com/stockists

For the largest selection however, I go to Tokyo Central. They have the entire line.

3 Likes

Loved the tamagoyaki, anago, onigiri, and egg custard. The soba was good, but apparently if you order the soba and tempura combo, you only get one dipping sauce (mentsuyu) that you use for both the soba and tempura. I would have preferred a separate tempura dipping sauce and a more concentrated soba sauce.

homemade “jidori” free range egg custard pudding

12 Likes

Splendid pictures and report as always! Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for the report and pics as usual! :slight_smile: Glad you liked Otafuku’s Tamagoyaki, so good, right? :blush: Have you tried Wadatsumi’s version yet? (Dinner only. The one for lunch is different.)

I agree with you about wishing they gave you both dipping sauces for the Tenzaru Soba combo.

2 Likes

Love many of their dishes but I generally find Otafuku’s tempura offerings greasy AF. Particularly the eel.

2 Likes

I think I saw you there!

Anago tempura was a bit greasy, but the formidable magurodon (tuna rice bowl) more than made up for it.

5 Likes

haha, you should have stopped by.

1 Like

Hi @J_L,

Ooh! Thanks for the recommendation. We’ve never ordered their Magurodon before. I’ll have to try it next time. Thanks. :slight_smile: