Onda - Santa Monica

good point.

I didn’t know the other chef was owner of contramar in CDMX that is indeed very sad based on your experience.

Will definitely be skipping until further notice.

I’m intrigued by breakfast. Will probably check that out this weekend.

Overjoyed (especially for my Westside brethren) to report that daytime Onda kicks ass!

Feel is much closer to Sqirl; you order at the counter, only it’s indoors in a beautiful, roomy, bright sunny room. They have a bakery case (we tried the chamomile/some other flavor I can’t remember cookie and it was great, with the chamomile really shining in a way it often doesn’t in chamomile-flavored things).

We got the vegan crispy rice bowl (+ egg), tlacoyo, and toast + jam. It was all great. Crispy rice bowl and toast and jam were very similar to the Sqirl counterparts (the main difference was the toast was a baguette, and it was really good). Tlacoyo had just absolutely perfectly cooked scrambled eggs–fully cooked through but still jiggly even ten minutes after it came–on top of a delicious masa cake (I guess you could call it a tortilla? It was thin but not tortilla-thin). Fermented hot sauce on the side.

Was lucky to work from home so there was basically no line on this weekday; we’ll see what the weekend crowds bring. This place deserves to be just as packed on a weekend morning as its sister across town. Yay!

7 Likes

Pics

16 Likes

I went on Tuesday morning and indeed, it was much better than the dinner experience.

That bread looks divine
 Prices don’t look too bad for the area, so will def be giving it a try. Thanks for the report!

1 Like

Our order was WAYYYYY too much food for two people, but we just wanted to try a bunch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I got my pastries to go but then was tempted to buy some sidecar donuts across the street.

1 Like

The man: “We’re not ordering three appetizers just so you can take one bite of each.”

Me: “Why not?”

9 Likes

The eggs look outstanding!! Can’t wait to give it a shot.

Many thanks to @bruins for this heads up. Breakfast/brunch was delish. Buñuelos, tlacoyo, and “mega” chilaquiles (chorizo + avocado).

Buñuelos had black sesame and orange zest. Very sweet, but not cloying. I don’t know if the black sesame added much, and I could’ve used more orange zest. Tlacoyo was wonderfully savory, and the silky smooth beans were indeed
 silky smooth. I personally like a very soft scramble and wouldn’t have minded them even just a touch softer. Chilaquiles was excellent (looks very similar to the rice bowl) and a messy delight. Wish the chorizo was a bit more thoroughly distributed b/c a lot of it collected on one side (where it gets overly salt in bulk). Portion of the chilaquiles doesn’t look that big, but it’s very filling; they ain’t skimping on the chorizo or the avocado.

These are all nitpicks, though, IMO. Thought the food was very enjoyable and would happily return.

Ginger tea is INCREDIBLY strong w/o being medicinal.

Service almost overly polite (cashier thanked us twice for trying the place). Counter service. I think Jessica herself might’ve been present (the woman we saw as we were exiting certainly matches pics that pop up on an internet search). Space is beautiful and breezy.

Hotel itself is mid-century modern meets Inca temple
 And, somehow, it works.

12 Likes

Went today and it was excellent for lunch. This is what it should have been all along.

1 Like

I’m surprised to say it but honestly, this place went from the biggest disappointment of the year at dinner to maybe the very best place to eat in the morning on the west side. It is a legit Gjusta challenger. The menu is basically Sqirl’s menu, mixed with Mexican flavor profiles.

Yesterday I had the rice bowl, which was basically the classic sqirl rice bowl with pickled onions, turkey pastor, and avocado thrown in. It was great.

But more fundamentally, the pastries are bananas. Have you been to Panaderia Rosetta in Mexico City? Because there is now a place in Santa Monica making better conchas. This morning, I had a lemon turmeric curd concha that I can’t stop thinking about. Below are some pictures of the pastry case from this morning.

Right now this place is empty during the day. The word is not out yet. It will be. I would give the food during the day right now an A-, and the pastries (based on today) an A-+.

13 Likes

Onda to go pretty solid.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly: “Onda’s daytime menu is so consistently good that you could pick from it blindfolded and end up happy.”

Picked up some snacks before a meeting. Thought about going to Sidecar but remembered Onda does mornings now.

9 Likes

Thinking of visiting Onda after I arrive in L.A. tomorrow. What type of concha is that, and what is the loaf with sesame seeds on top? They all look delicious!

2 Likes

Black and white coconut cream concha!

Banana bread with sesame something or other, can’t remember what the card said

The dried plum cake in bottom right of top pic was a definite hit

1 Like