One Of The Older Chinese Restaurants in Chinatown is Gone

if i am thinking of the same one, we used to hit lok yue in the early 90’s for jook late on friday nights. p p pop occupies that location now on garfield just north of garvey…

i wouldn’t lament the passing. went there recently and their chive pockets were… awful. it was as if someone had either neglected to wash the chives at all, or tried to wash them with soap but failed to rinse them thoroughly resulting in a bitter and unpleasant taste.

i had high hopes when i saw the kidney/pork intestine noodle soup, but that also underwhelmed.

ditto for the house special noodles

maybe my expectations were set too high for the noodle soups, but the chive things were definitely bad.

It’s the same one. They were operating in Chinatown for quite a while before they moved to Monterey Park. Looking back, Phoenix (similar root) transition much more successful than Lok Yue.

i did not know that. i moved to LA in 1989.

There were three variations in the English name. The one in Chinatown was Luck Yue. The SGV branches were called Luk Yue, except that after almost 10 years the Rowland Heights branch changed to Luck You before going under.

Yeah, as a Chinatown kid who grew up carless, anything going east on the 10 is all one giant blob of a place to me…

This thread is making me very nostalgic. I just googled my favorite teacher and she is still teaching at Castelar! And the then principal is still alive…That makes me happy.

6 Likes

I used to go to Lok Yu with my grandma. She took me there a few times and the chowfun was amazing. Also, I don’t think Lok Yu in Monterey Park still exists - it was to the left of the Hong Kong Supermarket (when facing the Garfield Blvd. entrance.) Of course Lok Yu in M.P. was definitely not as good. On the other hand, it could that things tastes better when you’re a kid cuz your taste buds are “sensitive.” [?]

4 Likes

My grand father Sam Lew was founder of the Lime House

4 Likes

Hi Chandavki, I would love to meet up in Chinatown with you for tea.

2 Likes

Welcome to FTC!

3 Likes

Actually, I think the Chinese Historical Society of Southern California might be interested in your insights. I’m sure you have knowledge that should be preserved.

4 Likes