Osteria Mozza - Hancock Park

It was reported by other posters. I have updated my post to reflect that accordingly.

2 Likes

Yeah, sorry @hungryhungryhippos. My comment wasn’t specifically directed at you (or confined to this Mozza thread). You seem like a fair person. And I’m definitely not the person to rely on for cost analysis (reason I wrote “maybe” :wink:). I go out to eat when I can afford to and once decision is made and we’re there I don’t really check prices… unless it’s an obscenely small portion, etc. But! I do think folks need to temper the expectation that all their favorite places will be exactly the way they were before Covid and turmoil on the streets - food-wise, atmosphere-wise and price-wise. Or maybe stay home and cook. :wink:

P.S. About the Manhattan Beach restaurant? It seems beach people are a different breed. We went to Seal Beach yesterday and were able to get a spot away from others and take off our masks. But, less than 5% were wearing masks even in the public facilities with big signs saying to do so, and there were parties of 20+ with not one mask. Spreaders.

2 Likes

i wonder how much mozza had to do with the pricing of this “michelin guide experience”/samsung propaganda bullshit. it’s more likely they were approached to come up with an “exclusive” three-course menu for a special promo. the menus for nyc, sf, and chicago are also three courses and $150 for 2, however they didn’t cheap-out on the ingredients e.g. bluefin tuna, quail, heritage pork loin, short ribs, salmon vs. aglio e olio pasta?

4 Likes

So is Maude.

3 Likes

Really good point.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pizzeria Mozza

Did Osteria Mozza a couple weeks ago and got that clutch Piazza seating. Since they’ve reopened for indoor service, the multiple menus are no longer merged, so while we didn’t get a shot at pizza, overall it was a fantastic meal in an outdoor space that honestly I quite preferred to the dining room.

Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Mint, Almonds, and Pecorino

Simple and fantastic. It was a much larger serving than I was anticipating, but was great to share.

IMG_6246

Burrata, Peas, and Speck

With peas still in season, this was an excellent combination of slightly sweet peas, creamy burrata, and cured ham. We got some extra garlic toast as a delivery vehicle.

IMG_6247

Mozzarella di Bufala with Cantabrian Anchovies and Garlic Toast

Easily the star of the show. I wish I could eat this every day.

IMG_6248

Orecchiette with Sausage and Swiss Chard

Of the two pastas we got, I wasn’t feeling strongly about this, but it turned out to be great. While it may seem like a fairly pedestrian combination, the execution here is what makes you remember this is Mozza.

IMG_6251

Ricotta and Egg Ravioli with Browned Butter

Even though we each only got one bite, it’s still a must. Pro-tip: be the last one to take a piece so you can scrape up all the yolk and butter left.

IMG_6252

Grilled Beef Tagliata with Rucola, Parmigiano Reggiano and Aceto Balsamico

Expertly cooked and a great finisher.

IMG_6254

Nancy is still throwing heaters.

11 Likes

The burrata with peas is actually my favorite from the mozzarella bar. I’m glad it’s still on the menu.

1 Like

Anyone been in 2022? Anything to seek out and/or avoid?

I’ve always been a huge fan of anything from Nancy’s Mozzarella Bar and the pastas are typically well-worth having.

1 Like

I ate at Osteria Mozza a month or two ago and it didn’t appear to have missed a beat.

My play is to focus on the mozzarella, appetizers, salads and pastas and pass on the mains. The mains I’ve had have always been good, but I feel like the rest of the menu outshines them.

7 Likes

so what are must gets?

octopus? Tagliatelle with Oxtail Ragù? Orecchiette with Sausage and Swiss Chard? lamb chops? duck confit? please let me know!

mozzarella di bufala with cantabrian anchovies & garlic toast
burrata with bacon, escarole and caramelized shallots
burrata and peas
burrata and peaches when in season
nancy’s caesar
spaghetti aglio e olio, carabineros prawn
orecchiette
candied kumquat semifreddo

9 Likes

In addition to the above I really like the Brussel sprout salad and both of the raviolis.

If you do want a main, my favorite has been the filet mignon in brodo. I’m not usually a filet mignon person but their preparation is unique and delicious.

1 Like

Don’t sleep on the whole fried fish

1 Like

That sounds like a difficult surface on which to get some rest… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Thanks Dad :joy:

9 Likes

:octopus: is great too

1 Like

Not if it comes from the seabed.

2 Likes

Sounds like going to the mattresses and end up sleeping with the fishes.

2 Likes