Osteria Mozza - Hancock Park

Noted!

Noted!

Egg raviolo

1 Like

Osteria Mozza is pastas and other stuff.
Pizzeria Mozza is pizzas and other stuff
Chi Spacca is meat and other stuff

2 Likes

you can’t go wrong with anything from the mozzarella bar. one of the signatures that’s always on the menu is the bacon and buratta with caramelized shallots, great balance of creamy, fatty, salty, sweetness.

nancy’s caesar is also really good and unique
https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/uploads/short-url/pAQWZ6xxKA9I6hEDe14U2aEKa2X.jpeg

if they have the carabineros prawn spaghetti that’s a must order.

3 Likes

Hell yeah.

The menu changes all the time depending on what’s in season and good. Personally I always go for the offal if they have it.

1 Like

I’m happy to report that Osteria Mozza exceeded my expectations for the most part and it was quite enjoyable to sit at the Mozzerella Bar people watching all night. #PorkBellysighting #helooksjustlikehisavatar

Service: Very warm, energetic, but odd. One of the amicable food runner cleared our bread plates and utensils, but not our butter and olive oil, 2 courses in without asking if we wanted more bread. When he later tried to clear our butter 5 minutes later, we told him that we wanted more bread which he kindly brought over. But after bread was served, we had no utensils to spread those darn butter on our bread. On another occasion, food was served before utensils were placed. Lastly, on several occasions, servers and food runners bumped into our chairs while they were walking by. BUT, service is the least of my concerns when I eat out…

Amuse Bouche: Toast | ricotta, olive tapenade, basil
A good start. Salty brine from the tapenade, creamy, crunchy, freshness from the basil.

Olive Oil (EV?) and Butter from somewhere

Some of the best bread I’ve had anywhere! Moist, fluffy as a pillow, subtle yeast aroma.

Plain

Seeded - This one has a subtle smokey nuttiness from the seeds on the crust

Rye

Burrata & Bacon | marinated escarole & caramelized shallots
Perfect balance between taste and texture. Crunchy, creamy, sweet, acid, salty. Wow! I pooped my pants on my first bite!

Glorious. I think I pooped my pants again looking at this!

Grilled Octopus | potato, celery, green onion, lemon
The tender 8 footed sea monster tastes incredibly smokey from the heavily charred exterior! While I might complain about the plain-Jane celery & potato on another occasion, I actually appreciate this as a refreshing palate cleanser because of the OMPH that the octopus brought.

Tortellini in Brodo | veal, chicken, ricotta
The clean but flavorful chicken consomme is fortified with Parmigiano-Reggiano which makes for a perfect backdrop for the intensely complex tasting ring shaped pasta that are stuffed with veal, chicken, and ricotta.

Gnocchi | duck ragu
These gnocchi is light as a pillow and act as the perfect vehicle for the strong tasting braised duck that’s finely shredded.

Deep Fried Whole Branzino | tokyo turnips, grilled scallions, pickled peppers
When it comes to whole cooked fish, I’m biased. I’ve never had one as moist, juicy, flakey as the Chinese steamed ones. So did Nancy change my perception? Nope. Not even close.

Espresso Semifreddo | coconut almond biscotto, toasted marshmallow, spiced hot chocolate
This delightful espresso semifreddo, a semi-frozen dessert, is luscious, creamy, and mildly sweet. Its texture is reinforced by the melty toasted marshmallow and contrasted with the slightly chewy biscotto. The dessert as a whole paired well with the lightly bitter hot chocolate sauce.

Bombolini | huckleberry compote, vanilla gelato, lemon mascarpone
These Italian doughnut are quite light in texture and worked quite well with the sour berry compote, light and refreshing lemon mascarpone and possibly the best plain-jane vanilla gelato I’ve ever had.

10 Likes

Yep, that burrata and bacon is the fucking business. And in the summer the peaches and burrata is just as good.

2 Likes

I can’t afford to buy anymore new pants.

1 Like

When are you going to pizzeria mozza to complete the silverton bang-bang-bang?

1 Like

When do you wanna tag along so I can order more food?

3 Likes

Is now too late?

2 Likes

Just give me a sec to regurgitate all the APL ribs and I’ll see you there.

2 Likes

I think you need to come up w/ a new way to be happy. :wink:

The burrata and duck ragu look AMAZING.

3 Likes

I was disappointed you weren’t in your wife beater.

2 Likes

had an outstanding meal here the other night a perfect 5 for 5. Service and pacing was also excellent.

amuse bouche - goat cheese, olive tapenade

(new)burrata & peas, speck, parmigiano, mint
this was creamy, salty, sweet, savory and light all at the same time, outstanding. spring is here, taste the pea-ness.

nancy’s caesar, egg, leek, anchovy crostini
another perfect balance of flavors. make sure to get every component in each bite: salty anchovy, sweet leeks, creamy egg, crunchy crostini, and the lemony lettuce to cut through everything.

(new)grilled wild sardine, herbs, preserved lemon aioli
one of the best cooked sardines i’ve ever had. the fish was still moist, oily and fatty with enough acid from the herbs and creamy aioli to complement it perfectly.

linguine with clams, pancetta, spicy fresno chiles
Loved the huge slivers of garlic and even with the clams and pancetta this wasn’t salty at all and was perfectly seasoned, unlike the salt bomb i had at felix recently.

(new)brown butter meringue cake, ginger braised rhubarb, yogurt gelato
crisped edges, chewy interior, fluffy sweet meringue, and tart rhubarb.

12 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Great report. :slight_smile: Glad to hear Osteria Mozza is still consistent and putting out some great quality dishes. Can’t wait to try that Linguine and the Peas dish.

1 Like

Awesome! Time for a revisit.

I agree about the service. Out of the 3 Mozzaplex restaurants we thought the Osteria servers were the best trained.

2 Likes

I’m trying to decide if your comment about the burrata and peas dish was what you intended. That’s not what I do when Spring rolls around!

These have been on the Chi Spacca menu (occasionally) and were amazing when I had them last.

That Caesar looks wonderful too.

1 Like