Osteria Mozza - Hancock Park

give peas a chance.

2 Likes

“Pea-ness”?

A pizzle puzzle. Mightier than the sword.

Obtuse?

I came for the Bar Amaro menu tonight. It’s $35pp and you get to pick one item from the Mozzarella Bar, one item from the pasta Primi section, and one of two designated desserts. The only items you can’t pick are the most expensive ones but it’s still a ridiculously good deal despite having to eat at the bar. Heck, I don’t even know if I can get out of Cheesecake Factory for that much after ordering an appetizer, a pasta, and a cheescake! Anyway, dinner was on point.

bread selection: sourdough, rye, sesame
Cold but excellent

burrata & peas | speck, parmigiano reggiano, mint
The balance of Nancy’s Mozzarella Bar items are always superb and this item is no different. Its interplay between complex salty, tangy, and sweet notes is impressive. Textually, the contrast between creaminess of the burrata and the popping peas is also immensely enjoyable.

mozzarella di bufala | anchovies, garlic toast
The mildly milky flavor of the soft mozzarella takes a backseat and acts as an important counterpoint to the assertive garlicky notes of the toast and surprisingly complex sweet & salty notes of the anchovies. Great stuff.

strozzapreti | lamb ragu, taggiasche olive, mint
I’m not much of a fan of olives but these fruity, firm, and slightly chewy olives work great with the al dente pasta and velvety lamb stew.

tagliatelle | oxtail ragu
Perfect braised oxtail makes for a highlight of the evening.

custard meringue tart | mixed berry, rasphberry jam

bittersweet chocolate mousse | whipped creme fraiche, candied hazelnuts
The bittersweet chocolate mousse is incredibly light and perfectly complements the intense nutty notes from the candied hazelnuts. Should you be in the mood for extra bitterness and sweetness, the accompanying caramel sauce and cocoa nibs is right up your alley.

15 Likes

bread, butter, olive oil

mozzarella di bufala, anchovies, garlic toast
highlight. these pujado solano anchovies were delicious and less salty than the ortiz anchovies they were using before. make sure not to waste that sweet sweet anchovy oil, i drizzled it on top of each bite. i just wish they gave you more garlic toast, the amount of toast to cheese and anchovy is ridiculously small.

grilled octopus, potato, celery, green onion & lemon
wasn’t a fan of this dish, the salad was too acidic and overpowered the octopus.

sweet corn cappallaci, chanterelles & thyme
nice balance of savoriness and sweetness @A5KOBE

crispy duck confit, pear mostarda & sauteed sweet corn
eating the duck by itself i thought it was just okay, but pairing it with the sweet and spicy pear mostarda really brought it to a whole nother level. skin could have been crisper.

japanese sweet potato cake, president butter gelato & bay leaf caramel
the cake was a bit dense, and the slightly savory butter gelato was interesting. not bad.

5 Likes

How is that portion size? Uni for scale?

it’s about the same size as republique’s corn agnolotti, maybe 10 or so pieces. uni for scale.

3 Likes

In other words, order one for thy self.

(new) burrata & peach, prosciutto, ceci & cilantro salsa verde
When i saw tenerelli’s freestone yellow peaches at the fm last week I was hoping Nancy would put this dish back on the menu and sure enough she did. This dish has it all, sweet, tart, creamy, nutty, herby, and salty. Outstanding. Highlight @attran99, @Bookwich, @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @moonboy403.

nancy’s caesar - egg, leek & anchovy crostini
another perfect balance of salty umami, acid, fat, and sweetness. in my top two of caesar salads.
eating this is like trying to solve a combinatorics problem: given a multiset S, determine the optimal number of bite-size subsets such that it contains one of each element from S. highlight @TheCookie

prosciutto di san daniele & melon, cracked black pepper
i could eat a whole plate of this soft, subtle, and not too salty prosciutto alone, it’s that good. the sweet weiser farms melon was just a bonus. highlight. @Bookwich.

(new) linguine aglio e olio with carabineros prawn
there’s so much head juice in this prawn tearing the head off of this monster is like cracking open a bottle of liquid shrimp essence and pouring it over your pasta. save some bread to soak it all up. highlight @Sgee, @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @A5KOBE, @Hungrydrunk, @CiaoBob, @Omotesando. note: there’s a lot of garlic which i like, but @Bookwich and nightwalkers stay away.

pig for scale

(new) harry’s berries strawberry crespelle - sauteed strawberries, spiced almonds
this was fine, desserts have been hit or miss.

11 Likes

Love this meal.

2 Likes

I feel weird about choosing this place for another return with family for my upcoming birthday. Weird because there are so many other fine restaurants yall are clearly enjoying

New is not always better.
Old is not always worse.

If you’ve loved it in the past, support it!

4 Likes

Hatchet Hall?

Among many others. But the 7 minute drive is really tempting

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

Had a pretty average meal here a few nights ago. But I chalk it up to my mistake of going with a vegetarian friend and ordering to cater his diet. The only non true vegetarian dish we ordered was the buffalo mozz with anchovies. Like @PorkyBelly said, this was a great dish, except that we received two tiny balls of mozz and two tiny pieces of toast to go along with a whole can of sardines. The sardines are truly excellent but the ratios were so off.

The summer squash salad was excellent except the fact that it was 95% lettuce and 5% squash. But it was one tasty salad, albeit tiny for the price.

Spaghetti with tomatoes and breadcrumbs. I would have never ordered this except the fact that there were very few veg options on the pasta menu. It tasted like something I can make at home in 15 min with very min effort.

Sweet corn cappallaci was the other veg pasta option. @PorkyBelly liked it and thought it was well balanced. I thought it was overpoweringly sweet and my buddy agreed. But this could be a me problem.

Wasn’t a bad meal, but considering how good OM can be, I left disappointed.

4 Likes

Yes i wasn’t all that thrilled with my choice but this is our next reservations and now i’m thinking i really need to book elsewhere. Chi Spacca it is :stuck_out_tongue:

mozzarella di bufala, anchovies & garlic toast
Great dish, but agree with @tailbacku that the ratios are off. There was one huge ball of mozzarella, two tiny pieces of toast and about 8 or 9 fillets. I found myself having to do differential calculus to portion out each component so that I would have enough of each until the end.

warm black dates & speck, extra virgin olive oil & maldon sea salt
Highlight. Sweet, salty, and meaty. like a winter version of prosciutto and melon @Bookwich

linguine aglio e olio with carabineros prawn
Delicious, probably my favorite pasta on the menu. So much head juice, it makes barry bonds look clean. Highlight. @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @TheCookie, @Bookwich, @A5KOBE, @foodshutterbug

grilled quail wrapped in pancetta with honey & sage
Another hit. Great balance of smoky, bitter and sweet flavors.

apple borsellino, caramel gelato & whipped crema
This was okay, haven’t had much success with desserts here.

12 Likes

The overlord wants to review your proof. ;-D

1 Like