Osteria Mozza - Hancock Park

Hatchet Hall?

Among many others. But the 7 minute drive is really tempting

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

Had a pretty average meal here a few nights ago. But I chalk it up to my mistake of going with a vegetarian friend and ordering to cater his diet. The only non true vegetarian dish we ordered was the buffalo mozz with anchovies. Like @PorkyBelly said, this was a great dish, except that we received two tiny balls of mozz and two tiny pieces of toast to go along with a whole can of sardines. The sardines are truly excellent but the ratios were so off.

The summer squash salad was excellent except the fact that it was 95% lettuce and 5% squash. But it was one tasty salad, albeit tiny for the price.

Spaghetti with tomatoes and breadcrumbs. I would have never ordered this except the fact that there were very few veg options on the pasta menu. It tasted like something I can make at home in 15 min with very min effort.

Sweet corn cappallaci was the other veg pasta option. @PorkyBelly liked it and thought it was well balanced. I thought it was overpoweringly sweet and my buddy agreed. But this could be a me problem.

Wasn’t a bad meal, but considering how good OM can be, I left disappointed.

4 Likes

Yes i wasn’t all that thrilled with my choice but this is our next reservations and now i’m thinking i really need to book elsewhere. Chi Spacca it is :stuck_out_tongue:

mozzarella di bufala, anchovies & garlic toast
Great dish, but agree with @tailbacku that the ratios are off. There was one huge ball of mozzarella, two tiny pieces of toast and about 8 or 9 fillets. I found myself having to do differential calculus to portion out each component so that I would have enough of each until the end.

warm black dates & speck, extra virgin olive oil & maldon sea salt
Highlight. Sweet, salty, and meaty. like a winter version of prosciutto and melon @Bookwich

linguine aglio e olio with carabineros prawn
Delicious, probably my favorite pasta on the menu. So much head juice, it makes barry bonds look clean. Highlight. @Chowseeker1999, @attran99, @TheCookie, @Bookwich, @A5KOBE, @foodshutterbug

grilled quail wrapped in pancetta with honey & sage
Another hit. Great balance of smoky, bitter and sweet flavors.

apple borsellino, caramel gelato & whipped crema
This was okay, haven’t had much success with desserts here.

12 Likes

The overlord wants to review your proof. ;-D

1 Like

We’ve resorted to preemptively ordering extra garlic toast with the dish. That brings it to 4 half disks of toast, but last time we asked for even more and ended up with six half disks. (I hesitate to use the word half slice since they’re not even that big. ) I’ve settled on 2-3 filets plus a tablespoonish of burrata

5 Likes

time to bring your zojirushi home bakery viruoso plus! #BYOC

8 Likes

My new ham :blue_heart: … a punchier flavor vs prosciutto

2 Likes

Brilliant

1 Like

you wouldn’t have had any problem if you used real analysis instead

1 Like

You’re so nice. I’m quick with the “could I please have more bread”? This isn’t enough

5 Likes

Word…me, too. There’s no shame in my game. It wouldn’t be right to overload the toast with too many toppings or too much stuff…the balance would be off. I can’t slap a mountain full of stuff on a small piece of bread.

5 Likes

I also had this ratio problem with breads/pitas/bings at Majordomo & Bavel.
Like, do they actually expect guests to pile all that stuff up on the that amount of bread? That would throw off the balance and result in a less delicious dish and less enjoyable experience.
They have been sure to charge for the extra requested breads at Mozza, Majordomo, and Bavel.

Edit: Just realized that I almost said the exact same thing as @attran99. I totally agree and wanted to reiterate and add more guilty restaurants.

2 Likes

I think you answered your own question.

4 Likes

There are also enough guests comfortable wasting/not utilizing components like bread that it makes more sense to price the dish out with less bread rather than enough/too much and see it go to waste.

That said servers should always be vocal about the option/price of more bread. And aware when a dish like that drops, maybe step in and offer.

This coming from someone who will eat bad bread just because it is in front of me.

3 Likes

In response I would say that I feel like I am being penalized (added cost) for properly enjoying the dish.

2 Likes

I’m right there with you @Starchtrade.

I can’t imagine anyone in this thread letting bread go to waste!

But I composted A LOT of food during my time in restaurants.

There’s a ton of people who like going out/knowing where to eat that have no respect for how to eat.

4 Likes

Yeah… for those dishes I guess I just have to factor in ‘Proper Bread Ratio Pentalty’ into my @Nemroz Menu Price++++ formula.

To focus on solution rather than just complaining about the problem: how about these restaurants offer free additional bread up to a reasonable amount for the dish (i.e. cap at 3x bread portion, additional beyond that is available for additional charge)?

4 Likes