Osteria Mozza

Oh no. Do I even want to click on this? :confounded:.

http://www.thekitchn.com/breaking-the-myth-of-whether-or-not-you-can-eat-carrot-tops-tips-from-the-kitchn-121158

Okay, thank you.

The NYT article was a little alarming. But he didn’t write anything about mature or carrots you buy in markets like Whole Foods; like the photo in your article.

I used to rip the greens off and chuck them in the trash before bagging. But I came across a recipe calling for carrot greens as a garnish and have been using them ever since. They are slightly bitter, but have a nice carrot-y taste. Perfect for… carrots.

Sorry @President_Mochi. I swear I wasn’t trying to poison you :relieved:.

I had a great budino at felix that i think tops even mozza’s. I said it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for posting- they have this cheese at the Mozza in Newport, can’t wait to try.

I love the Gioia, so I can only imagine how divine this must be.

Mmmm… It does look lighter and creamy.

There are lots of non-authoritative sites on the web where people will tell you carrot tops aren’t toxic, but the only authoritative information I’ve found says they are.

Some health food stores sell “dietary supplements” containing toxic herbs that researchers handle with gloves and masks.

Certainly your choice not to eat Carrot greens is as valid as any other, but as for me I’ll take H.McG’s word on it… as always YMMV and all that.

https://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/harold-mcgee-responds-part-1/

McGee says he hasn’t found any evidence, which I’m sure is true.

I can’t find enough information about daucine, pyrrolidine, or falcarinol aka carotatoxin to persuade me they’re safe to eat.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/128093706/1973-tasty-dishes-from-waste-items

It’s too late. RIP me.

2 Likes

Can’t seem to find the reason why I’m choosing Chi Spacca over Osteria for the 4th time in a row this week… Went to Osteria once a long time ago and I can’t figure out why the food isn’t calling me back. I think I’m either being silly or Chi Spacca is just that much more memorable every time.

I don’t know of another restaurant much like Chi Spacca. I love Osteria Mozza, but there are a lot of Cal-Italian places doing something more or less similar.

finally watched Silverton’s Chef’s Table episode last night. Is she still manning the mozzarella bar on the regular?

not that i’ve seen… i’ve hung out at the bar a couple of times and she kind of comes through, supervises … maybe i’m wrong though

yes.
maybe not the full service – so, if you go later, she’s generally having wine on the side and not mozzarella-ing - but for a couple hours almost every night that I’ve been there.

1 Like

Have you had the heritage goat at Chi Spacca? I’ve been searching for a place that grills goat chops.

Have you considered Tar and Roses for wood-fired goat? …though you’ll need some fellow goat lovers for this one :slight_smile:

Indeed, I’ve had the goat dinnerat Tar and Roses and it’s fantastic. But I would like to be able to have goat in chop form and to be able to order it with fewer than 4 people, and less than a week in advance, if possible.

Wow, you’re so demanding:).