Outdoor dining destinations

If picnics count I highly recommend Switzer Falls, Switzer Falls via Gabrielino Trail | Map, Guide - California | AllTrails. Can be very crowded on weekends, but especially in the spring it is stunning.

1 Like

@Srsly Anything and everything is fair game. I’m just looking for ideas to make his weekends and days off more outdoorsy than our normal haunts. Thanks for the suggestions!

@ebethsdad I really like this idea, too…hike first thing in the morning and picnic brunch when done. He’ll love it!

1 Like

They have grills there - albeit not great ones. You will need a Forest Adventure Pass, Region 5 - Recreation Passes & Permits. Unless you have a filter I think you need to bring water. If you do have a filter the stream water is delicious.

First thing I thought of those beautiful So Cal beaches for a picnic .

The restaurant in SaMo.

What’s the Wilshire Hotel? I’m trying to Google it to find pics of the views and am not finding it. :frowning:

We do this once a month during the summer months…usually down in the OC (Newport, Corona del Mar, and Huntington). Often paired with bonfire nights.

2 Likes

Hotel Wilshire - Rooftop
I think @paranoidgarliclover meant this location…however, I could be wrong.

2 Likes

Surprised nobody said The Little Door. It’s still my favorite count-yard.

@attran99 - Yes Hotel Wilshire rooftop. Great view.

You mean the smaill patio in the back with smaller tables with a view of the wall separating you from the alley and the street? I like Gjelina but the patio is not an attraction!

These are not necessarily foodie places, but cool outdoor spaces.

-Claire’s at the Long Beach Museum
-Spaghettini In Seal Beach - Jazz lovers
-Paradise Cove Cafe - Reserve adirondack chairs out back on the beach
-Ray & Starks at L.A. County Museum
-Commissary - Line Hotel roof top in KTown

1 Like

Here’s another idea

Get a box at the Hollywood Bowl and then pack yourself some provisions from Gjusta or Stir Marketplace. Or, if you’re totally lazy then just get a turnkey picnic basket from the Larder.

I seriously can’t think of a much better way than to celebrate a night out - literally and figuratively - than to enjoy the sights and sounds of the Bowl, while noshing on some good grub, and enjoying the company of the one you love.

7 Likes

Awww… Great idea. What a romantic.

And use the “shuttle” service (which is really a big bus), if there’s pickup location close to you. It’s SO convenient…

In a similar vein, you could also look up “Saturdays off the 405” at the Getty Center. I recall people bringing picnic baskets and such (maybe get stuff from Clementine) when I went a few yrs back.

2 Likes

Maré on Melrose.

3 Likes

I dissent.
The patio is so much quieter than inside - for me, I would prefer not going to Gjelina than eating inside Gjelina.

1 Like

Low key, non-fussy, but good fresh food, great outdoor atmosphere, nice view, and definitely family friendly?

Malibu Seafood

…and stop by Grom on the way back for some excellent gelato.

4 Likes

redbird

2 Likes