Overrated restaurants 2015

I apologize if my post came off so negatively. My list of overrated places is just as you say - not deserving of the many repeat visits and mentions. I’ve had good experiences at each place, just not to the level of expectation that I came in with.

noddles, no sweat – I don’t think this is a forum for apologies…frankly, the opposite…I appreciate your thoughts and agree with much…but I don’t think horse thief is overrated! most foodies I know think it stinks with some exceptions who may have lucked out on good days…

For me one of the most underrated in LA is Fundamental LA. A wonderful surprise every time I go…

1 Like

never been, will check it out. same with najiang kitchen.

1 Like

La Scala - particularly the chopped salad.

that place sucks…at least it’s not overrated with us here.

For me, it’s about the quality/hassle ratio.
I’ll go to Bay Cities because the bread is great, it’s close to my office, and I can preorder online so it’s a decent sandwich at a reasonable price with only a little hassle (always the parking lot). Bonus points if I can convince a coworker to make the run instead. Same with Tacos Puntas Cabres. But I wouldn’t drive any way out of my way for TPC. Lincoln I liked for breakfast - it’s close to my house and I like the menu. But I liked it much better on a Friday morning when it was empty than on a Sunday morning where I had to stand in line for 30 minutes. Sqirl - too much hassle. Almost anything that requires me to call at a very specific time to get a table - too much hassle.

But I recognize that hassle varies from person to person (location is a big factor for me, also others may have a higher hassle tolerance or attitude tolerance.) If I didn’t work in Santa Monica, I would probably go to Bay Cities once in a never. If I didn’t live in Pasadena, I’d probably never hit Pie N Burger.

1 Like

there have been a few times on CH where i’ve ripped on places others hounds have recommended as my experience with the quality of taste and technique in comparison to its peers was just so inferior that i felt it was my duty to warn people away from the place and i’ve tried to be specific about what in the taste or technique i found to be inferior. but there are plenty of places that hounds rave about where i just shrug my shoulders. mainly because i see it as arrogance to do otherwise; you might as well disparage someone else’s opinion because they prefer vanilla to chocolate.

as for underrated

i’ve found shen yang to be inconsistent from visit to visit, but the potential to have a great meal is there.

nanjing kitchen is AFAIK the only place to find nanjing duck in the southland, (though i have come across salted duck at a few other places like old shanghai kitchen). and i think it’s nuanced enough to be worth a visit.

i really like what liang’s has evolved into. the lamb noodle soup still rocks, and the homemade noodles are often a yard long and not cut with great Q. i don’t think i’ve seen a fried then steamed noodle dish anywhere else either.

kam hong has regained their footing after a mgmt change or two. the noodles are still top notch.

and i’d add yoma myanmar as a contender for underrated.

From the little time I’ve spent in Europe, I actually think lots of mom-and-pop type places on the continent “get” this (esp in Italy and France). When you say “Western,” I don’t know if you mean specifically “American”… I’m asking for clarification just b/c, IMHO, it’s in America that we get so much of the “let’s-see-how-ridiculously-complicated-we-can-make-this-to-mask-poor-quality-ingredients” attitude.

On the most recent episode of “I’ll Have What Phil’s Having” (which I love, BTW), Phil’s dining companion in Spain basically said (paraphrasing), “Choose the highest quality ingredients, and then leave them alone!” I agree.

1 Like

Yes, my mistake. I should’ve used the term American instead of Western. I.e. it is a phenomenon among American restaurants in particular. Not all, of course, but there’s a trend. You’re right - many places in Europe are of the same mind re: purity when it comes to quality ingredients.

I’m thinking of the myriad New American small plates places with the overly complex crudo and overwrought pastas, which would be much rather successful but-for the addition of 2 or 3 superfluous ingredients. I think sometimes it’s not just to mask poor quality ingredients; rather, it’s because an overzealous chef is enamored by recent trends / ingredients because of how they’ll sound on a menu. I ate at too many of those in SF and LA this year. FWIW, in Hawaii in particular, even if a chef was Japanese, I found that sometimes the flavors were ridiculously overdone. It’s much more of a mindset thing than it is an ethnicity thing. Anyway, the term “Western” is inaccurate here; thanks for pointing that out.

Not sure why I made such a careless mistake, but it’s a mistake indeed.

fixed it for you.

Witness: poached live local baby octopus, Ningbo, China. A city with seafood traditions as strong Barcelona. Meant to be dipped in some soy or black vinegar. The global Western slant is… kinda absurd sometimes.

thor,
do you mean the chopped salad which is made with iceberg lettuce (sometimes dry and wilted), commercial grade salami, TINNED garbanzo beans, etc?

that salad is some kind of joke.
completely CONCUR with you here.

1 Like

How is Mori doing these days in terms of business? It always seemed so slow. It’s way more traditional Japanese than Shunji, and I don’t think that’s what most diners are looking for.

YES, I’ve def experienced this. Maybe it’s a sign of our social-media obsessed culture that even chefs are being “infected” by the “more is more” attitude. Sigh.

Never been to Hawaii, but I assume that Japanese-Hawaii chef might have a very different aesthetic/palate than one from Japan (so it being a culture, instead of a ethnic, thing). Are overdone flavors a Hawaiian thing?

Pretty good when I went in May and July. Counter was full on the weekends and at least half of the tables. I’m due for a winter visit for some kanburi belly.

I too worry about them not doing well enough. But then again, I’ve been worrying about that for 8-10 years now.

@Porthos I look forward to your report! :smile:

In my opinion, Isaan Station is the best Thai in the city. I also think their chicken is one of the best dishes in the city… Perfect every time

Their chicken is amazing, the skin rendered darn near perfectly. Oh hey, I don’t have pictures from my last visit because I forgot the camera. Guess I’ll have to make a visit soon in the name of “science.” :wink:

Noodles were excellent. Thank you, Barry, for constantly recommending them on the other boards, I would have otherwise never gone.

I can’t attest to the consistency of Shen Yang since I’ve only been once, but I very much so enjoyed their naengmyun and cumin chicken bones. IMO, there’s few things better than good friends, ice cold beer, some cumin chicken bones, and your-choice-of-sports game.

I’ll have to head out to Yoma Myanmar some time. What would you recommend?