Oysters - unshucked, in bulk

Don’t overlook the big chains. I’ve gotten good quality kumiai oysters at albertsons for $1 piece.

2 Likes

@attran99 - Yep… Connie & Ted’s has some good eatin’ oysters.

If you’re concerned about sourcing and want a convenient location, take @ebethsdad advice and call your closest Wholefoods to inquire about that Friday deal. Is the big WF on Arroyo close to you?

I hear ya’. Whenever I’m at 99 I have this ridiculous urge to try and rescue the fish.

1 Like

Perhaps Quality Seafood near the Redondo Beach pier?

They have a sizeable selection of different varieties, alive in the tanks. Nice people and always willing to help.

Quality Seafood
130 Internatl Boardwalk, Redondo Beach, CA 90277
(310) 374-2382

There’s also State Fish Co here in San Pedro, but they’re only open to the public 4am - 7:30am on Saturdays.
http://statefish.com

@Ns1 - Cape Seafood. Wow. This may be farther than @Jemange wants to travel - though a lot closer than Torrance. But that’s my 'hood and looks great. It makes me want to boil some crabs and shuck some oysters this Memorial weekend too.

silly me, forgot to check yelp first. $2/$2.20 a pop…if they’re doing buy 10/get 12 then that’s probably par with quality seafood pricewise.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/cape-seafood-and-provisions-los-angeles?select=1NR5UbCLCjKwgNG_dM-5pg

But still, it looks great. Also if you’re concerned about sourcing.

I was planning to call multiple places but Whole Foods DTLA gave me a price on 120 oysters @ $1/each, which is as good a deal as I could’ve gotten anywhere else. Plus, I trust their sourcing. We’re doing 40 Sol Azul, 40 Blue Point and 40 Kumamoto.

7 Likes

That’s a pretty awesome deal and you’re getting some variety. I was going to offer you some oysters from NZ but you’d have to take the whole case which is equivalent to 120 oysters(10doz). Take pics and enjoy.

3 Likes

Will do and thanks for the offer. Were do you get the NZ oysters from? No, that’s not a trick question. :relaxed:

1 Like

Sunday Hollywood Farmer’s Market, see Chris at the Oyster Boys stand. Always excellent selection and great service.

That’s fantastic that Whole Foods was so proactive. What a great price!

1 Like

that’s great! I’m sure you have your preferences, but me and the sig other killed 60 kumamoto’s in one sitting… they are truly one of the best tasting oysters. blue points i found sorta of meh not quite as flavorful.

1 Like

I wanted to offer some variety. I tend to prefer Pacific oysters but the blue points take me back to my youth in/around NYC and New England.

1 Like

They have regular $1 oysters on Fridays. Nice that @Jemange was able to get such a large quantity - especially with kumamotos.

1 Like

Wow, were they pre-shucked? If not, I salute your dexterity. I would have stabbed myself in the gloved hand many times. 30 kumamotos - something like heaven…I have mentioned this before, but if you are ever in the Bay Area head up to Tomales Bay and go to Hog Island Oyster Company. They used to take your order and then go pick them out of the water. Hope they still do. Truly a wonderful experience!

1 Like

no! actually got a great discount $40 for 60 It was well worth the pain! :smile: Tomales bay is def. on the list!

If you’re heading up to Tomales Bay, seek advice on the SF board on the current status and availability of oysters. While Hog Island is great, their hours can be restrictive (or at least were when we went regularly). We found excellent oysters by the bag (I think 60?) at the local FM at Point Reyes Station for far less than HI. We half-shelled half and Rockefellered the other half.

2 Likes

Is Eater LA cribbing FTC content?

@Jemange, you should demand royalties.

1 Like