Palm Springs / Joshua Tree & environs

Recommend:

townies (bagels). good, like NYC. peony doesn’t like the dense bagel style.

gelato granucci. good. fresh nuts in the nut gelatos (hazelnut and pistachios); fresh mint in the mint chocolate-chip. no extract tastes.

Worth considering given the location:

le vallauris (french). Classy setting. wine list is good for palm springs. food is passable.

tanya’s (vegan). vegan reuben is good. moroccan cauliflower salad, not so much.

birba (italian). decent salad and vegetable starters. pizza was okay but not the high-heat crust most FTC folks want. pasta was overcooked and inedible.

Not worth the drive:

delicias (mexican / desert hot springs). the menu is legit, but the food was a miss for us.

1 Like

Staying in Coachella this weekend at an Air BnB with another family. We are bringing lots of food since we have 6 kids. The majority of our time will be spent in the pool or foolishly playing golf at 7am. Korean BBQ one night. Pasta and chicken parm another night. Enough beer, wine and bourbon to kill a small sized mammal.

Anybody have good suggestions for an easy to pick up lunch/dinner that is popular with kids? We were thinking Mexican (lots of places nearby) or pizza. Closest pizza place is Domino’s.

Anything else of note nearby? Ice cream. Farms or farmers markets. Really good food we should drive 10-15 for?

Spent the weekend out this way and did some more exploring…

Mr. Lyons -
Arrived in time for happy hour at the bar. I have to say…I enjoy a dark lounge with a chill vibe.

We were planning on a couple of stops, so kept it light. A few cocktails and snacks before moving on. Drinks were great…we’d happily come back. The snacks were solid…crispy and giant onion rings (though a touch oily), a petite (but giant) wedge salad, and a brilliant dish of sugar snap peas with hazelnuts and a herb-butter sauce.

I wanted to try the steak tartare, but they couldn’t exclude the truffle oil from it so I declined. I find truffle oil way too cloying.

Service was excellent. Parking on a Friday night is tight, but use street parking and it’ll be okay.

Workshop -
We strolled in with no reservation, and got seats at the bar.

The cocktails here are exquisite. So well-balanced, I cannot tell there are spirits are in it. Super tasty. Would come back for the bar program alone.

Beets & Citrus - roasted beets, various citrus, date labneh, warming spices…this dish hit. Light, refreshing, and full of flavor. I’m gonna try to recreate it at home.

Steak au poivre - the sauce was crazy good! Perfectly cooked. Garnished with roasted root vegetables.

Iberico pork chop - giant bone-in chop cooked to a perfect medium…delicious!

The only clunker of the night was the duck fat fries. They were a strange mix of warm, lukewarm, soggy, and crispy. They were not duck-y and were only made better when we dipped in the au poivre sauce.

Fun fact…the only sauce not made in-house is the Sir Kensington ketchup that’s got a soft hit of horseradish in it.

Skip the fries, hit the bar and try all the other menu items.

Townie Bagels -
Pre-ordered bagels to pick up on our way home. If you’re there Sundays…do try the olive and fennel…it’s so good!

These bagels hit different. They remind me of New York. Though I do notice that they are a touch smaller now than before.

But they’ve a crisp exterior and a chewy center.

We also picked up olive sourdough, a petite sourdough and their pan de cristal. All of the breads are immaculate.

5 Likes

Rolling out to the area soon to celebrate a birthday with a weekend of golf…for the celebrant and not me. We’ll be staying in La Quinta.

We’ll probably arrive later on a Friday afternoon/evening. Likely won’t leave our area until 3PM.

What’s a great casual La Quinta place with cocktails we can have dinner at without reservations?

Saturday night, I’ve booked Workshop in PS proper because the celebrant loved it from our last trip.

In the air for brunch Saturday and Sunday…but I’ll likely be solo while the golfing is going down.

We had a great family weekend out this way recently.

Didn’t make it to Felipe’s because we couldn’t get a table inside on a chilly Friday evening.

Townie Bagels supplied most of our weekend breakfast needs. A baker’s dozen of savory bakes, a couple loaves of their bread, and I found they have frozen biscuits, too! Still a great bagel and the biscuits bake up great. My mistake is that I didn’t pre-order so I ended up in the line Saturday morning that wrapped around the building.

Sherman’s provided pastrami and desserts for our rental for the weekend. Worth noting that they sell their pastrami warm by the pound. I was surprised that it wasn’t cold when I pulled it out of my bag. The chowpups loved the cakes from Sherman’s…red velvet, lemon and strawberry shortcake were big winners!

Workshop was our real celebratory dinner for the weekend.

I think we ordered more than half the menu in addition to a bottle of wine, but I only took one photo.
Highlights: lamb keftka, asparagus with miso bernaise, beet & citrus, Iberico pork chop, house burger

The chowpups really enjoyed the truffle butter with house sourdough…I guess they know how truffles are supposed to smell and taste now.

2 Likes

I’m bumping this Joshua Tree topic. Any recent recommendations or warnings? I’ll be there for a long weekend in a few weeks.