Palms Ramen Yumeya: A Pictorial Essay

They better not close the Gardena location. I just might die…

There is a Yumeya in Gardena?!

No, sorry. That was in reply to Ns1 re: Beard Papa’s.

Menu

1 Like

I got lots of smiles.

Got a chance to try it out thanks to @J_L. :smile:

Ordered their Tonkotsu Ramen:

The soup is as JL mentioned, lighter than Tsujita’s, but it’s still definitely of the heavy Pork Bone variety, porky, oily, heavier than say a regular Shio or Shoyu Ramen. It’s sip-worthy and tasty, and less salty than Tsujita.

Their noodles are the thin straight type, but I found mine slightly overcooked (only slightly).

Their Pork Chashu is fresh (FTW!), but more on the firm side (not a bad thing). It wasn’t the silky buttery protein that was like Kitakata’s Pork Toro, nor as tender as Tsujita’s, but it was very good.

Their Egg unfortunately was overcooked, with no real soft, gooey factor.

One thing: If you’re averse to MSG, you can ask the kitchen to make your Ramen without it. The cooks confirm they can leave it out upon request.

Overall some legit Ramen in the area around Palms. As JL said, I’d come here if Tsujita was slammed with too many people, or if I wanted something a touch lighter. Thanks JL!

1 Like

Thanks for the report back! I’m sorry their ajitama game was off on your visit. Did you try the broth with some chili paste?

ooh! I missed that. I’ll definitely try some of the chili paste on my next visit. :smile:

Overall I like this place. Thanks JL!

1 Like

I dunno… Best Tsukmen. That is a hefty statement! Can’t wait to try although the egg quality issue worries me. Also the parking in that lot it shares with the Trader Joes is a complete PITA.

–Dommy!

1 Like

Looks yumey!

Park on the streets.

What streets? Palms? There is like room for four spots that are always taken. No parking on Sepulveda due to those apartments. That is my last Trader Joes of desperation in the area. With the new one coming in at the Fox Hills Mall (Culver City is becoming the land of Target and Trader Joes) had looked forward never to have to go there again… but I am a Tsukemen FIEND. le sigh

–Dommy!

1 Like

Where? In the Mall?

Many, many years ago I had my first taste of what was I guess could be called Japanese-American food at that exact location. It was Palms Fried Shrimp, run by a nice husband and wife. I learned to love all of the old school classics they served with sukiyaki probably the most adventurous thing served. It closed good gosh maybe 35 years ago. Their son went off to med school and wasn’t going to take over. It is cool to see that location return full circle back to its Japanese origins.

2 Likes

Supposedly it’s going into the JC Penny’s Furniture store space. Which is ironical because sometimes I park there and cross the street when the things at the Sprouts Parking lot gets nasty. Marking the total of Three Targets and Three Trader Joes within the close to the Culver City area

–Dommy!

Thanks for the info. The Palm’s TJ’s is one parking nightmare….

Funny, and I was remembering being introduced to moles at Guelaguetza (no, not THE Guelaguetza), which used to be in that exact location (I recognized those arches immediately)! This was maybe 12 years ago.

As for the ramen, looks delicious. Any details on the gyoza (other than “delicious”)?

Pork-based filling, with the pan-fried part on the crispier side (me likey), and the accompanying dipping ponzu/soy combo being less vinegary than I would have expected. I would definitely order it again.

Wow - I didn’t realize it was such a PITA for the locals. I guess I just got lucky with parking on my visits there.

A strange corollary to the parking situation - The signal for remote lock/unlock on my car key was (for lack of a better word) “jammed” in that lot. Nothing happened when I punched the buttons on my key. Trunk key button wouldn’t work either. I had to physically insert the key into the lock to lock/unlock my car when parked in that lot. The issue resolved as soon as I left that lot. And that happened on two separate visits - anyone else with the same experience? #veyronfail

Interesting. Didn’t happen to my Huayra on my recent TJ’s runs. #grocerygetter

2 Likes