Palms Ramen Yumeya: A Pictorial Essay

Funny, and I was remembering being introduced to moles at Guelaguetza (no, not THE Guelaguetza), which used to be in that exact location (I recognized those arches immediately)! This was maybe 12 years ago.

As for the ramen, looks delicious. Any details on the gyoza (other than “delicious”)?

Pork-based filling, with the pan-fried part on the crispier side (me likey), and the accompanying dipping ponzu/soy combo being less vinegary than I would have expected. I would definitely order it again.

Wow - I didn’t realize it was such a PITA for the locals. I guess I just got lucky with parking on my visits there.

A strange corollary to the parking situation - The signal for remote lock/unlock on my car key was (for lack of a better word) “jammed” in that lot. Nothing happened when I punched the buttons on my key. Trunk key button wouldn’t work either. I had to physically insert the key into the lock to lock/unlock my car when parked in that lot. The issue resolved as soon as I left that lot. And that happened on two separate visits - anyone else with the same experience? #veyronfail

Interesting. Didn’t happen to my Huayra on my recent TJ’s runs. #grocerygetter

2 Likes

Is that the same fucking location where the old
palms location of Guelaguetza was located at ???

Any pure chicken broth ramen no pork ???

Thanks man.

Nah. I still use a fucking jalopy, where you have to insert the key in the hole.

What a fucking concept.

I still really fucking miss “Hot Diggity Dog” where the Coffee Bean is now located.

Or take the RTD there.

1 Like

Someone’s bicycle was parked out front in my photo…

1 Like

I wouldn’t know, I have the servants do all that sort of stuff for me, while I pet my chinchilla…

On a food-related note, I think I’ll try to hit this place up. My partner seemed interested when I told him that the broth wouldn’t be the melted-pig stuff that I love so much…

2 Likes

@paranoidgarliclover actually to warn your partner, Yumeya’s broth is most definitely melted-pig LOL. :laughing: It’s not as heavy as Tsujita but it’s the same hardcore Tonkotsu broth.

If you want different, try Kitakata Bannai, which has a pretty ridiculous light broth, but still infused with great savoriness.

2 Likes

Thanks JL for another ramen joint rec. I decided to hit this place up yesterday for their tsukemen after a visit to Tatsu Ramen.

As @Chowseeker1999 mentioned, the broth is indeed melted pig, 18 hours simmered to be somewhat exact per the menu. If you look closely, you can even see the top layer of fat congealing on top, and at the edges of the bowl, you can see the separation. If I remember correctly, it’s slicker than Tsujita’s tsukemen but less so than their tonkotsu.

The noodles definitely have some bite, especially pleasing when coated in that savory concoction of melted pig. Chashu had a slight firmness around the edges but tender towards the center, very good. I particularly liked the red chili strands - when I’ve had it previous, it seemed as if only for decoration but here you actually get a nice light whiff of red chili.

For tsukemen, I prefer Tsujita but would be more than delighted if dining companions wanted to go here.

2 Likes

Smile, @J_L, you’re on Eater LA: http://la.eater.com/2015/11/4/9670520/ramen-yumeya-palms-best-tsujita

(Incidentally, I do not go to that TJs very often but when I’ve gone the parking spots near the now-ramenya end of the lot were usually available.)

1 Like

JL doing other peoples leg work. lol

1 Like

Um. It’s not so undiscovered anymore…

I went there on Monday and parking was the least of my worries!!

And yes, all of the spots were taken including the streets.

But I have a small car and managed a spot. And I’m the Boss so i can take a 2 hour lunch and not walk out without paying (Something the diners around me all contemplated).

I ordered the smaller size of the Tsukemen and didn’t order an egg because A) I knew they were in the mega weeds when I got in there so I didn’t want to complicate my order. (I did in fact get my order 20 minutes earlier than most of the folks who got Ramen) and B) there is no way in holy heck the egg would be better than Tsujita! NO WAY.

But I agree with JL, The Tsukemen alone, we got a contender. I still like Tsujita’s better, but it can be in your face. This one was much lighter but it still had a lot of character and it was studded with little bits of pork and onion (Which was unique and a nice touch). I still I think a gravy type broth works better in the noddle and dip experience. At Yumeya, I would instead take a slurp of lightly dressed noodles and a slurp of just the soup alone.

The Tsukemen noodles at Yumeya are EXCELLENT. Thicker and with more of a bit than even Tsujita. If the broth had clung to these noodles better then yes, even without the egg, I would have claimed that Yumeya was #1.

Even after waiting over 45 minutes for his Ramen (He dared order it without bean sprouts) the guy at the communal table next to me said he enjoyed his Ramen inspite of his deep annoyance. So I might return, probably not for lunch. And probably a few weeks after this as they get their act together.

–Dommy!

4 Likes

Mr. Elliott & I chatted once online. Nice fellow.

So FTC is now on the radar? Yay!

1 Like

Any pure chicken broth ramen ???

Nope, just porky porky goodness. BUT(!!!) the broth tastes light enough to resemble chicken-based. It made me do a double-take on the first try; enough to ask my server if this was chicken - Alas, no, just really yummy pork.

Went for a relatively early dinner Friday. Man, was it good. I live a couple miles away, I’m sure we’ll be back a few more times before we go down to Yamadaya again.

1 Like

I dunno, man. Based on this post, I gave it a shot while I was over on the west side. My partner had the tonkotsu and I had the tsukemen.

We were seated relatively quickly at a communal table and had some very pleasant conversation with another couple there. Thank goodness, because the service was… “scattered” would be a diplomatic way of putting it. Everyone was friendly to a fault, but ‘prompt’ and ‘organized’ aren’t anywhere in the neighborhood.

After at least one mixup, everyone finally got served. As you mentioned, both the tsukemen broth and the regular tonkotsu are lighter versions than the super-thick versions that Tsujita serves, but mostly, I just found them less interesting. The noodles in the ramen were just ok. The tsukemen noodles were nicely cooked, but the broth, while indeed full of little pork bits, didn’t have the depth or complexity of tsujita’s, or silverlake ramen’s, for that matter. Also, no lime?

I mean, it’s a nice spot and all, and if they get their service game together, it’s fine. But as I currently reside in Glendale, if I want ramen, Silver Lake is right nearby, and if I’m going to go all the way over to the west side, Tsujita is worth the trip. Yumeya, not so much.

Excellent essay, though. I didn’t even know about FTC 'til this was mentioned on Eater. Hope to read lots more!

1 Like