Pandemic Al Fresco Dining Done Well

NYC :wink:

1 Like

Went to Kali last night and it was outstanding!
They managed to create a very nice atmosphere in there back parking lot to the point that you do not know you are on the parking lot. It feels like one of those Oscar type party event spaces.
The food and the service were fantastic. Dry aged ribeye and fennel bone in pork chop ruled the night. If you are looking for pandemic al fresco dining done well, Kali is the ticket!

6 Likes

Any updates on who’s making the most of the bad situation?

Interesting comment in this Times article today from the owner of Broad Street Oyster Co. that they’re doing so well with outdoor dining and drive-through that they may never return to indoor seating.

3 Likes

majordomo
gjelina
connie & ted’s
cassia

1 Like

Next level makeshift outdoor dining. New buildout at Spago.

6 Likes

Phenakite by Porridge and Puffs.

5 Likes

broken spanish

Is it open or is that an architect’s rendering? Sci-fi.

open

3 Likes

It’s real and open. Check out their IG. They posted a video of them getting the space ready for soft open.

1 Like

It looks like the ‘Blade Runner’ noodle scene, just minus the rain and dystopia. But fear not! There should be oodles of cool jazz… #TheWave

2 Likes

I mean… it was built so that (mostly) rich, (more likely to be) vaccinated people can stay warm while they eat a fancy meal in the middle of a global pandemic that has disproportionately devastated the financially disadvantaged and also exacerbated income inequality…

If it ain’t fully dystopian, it’s at least featured in the newsreel under the opening credits that speeds through 20-50 years of history and introduces the dystopia to the audience.

lol (?)

7 Likes

I worried about the huge costs of building that out. Most of the hospitality industry has slim profit margins.

As they build the Metro, the wall stays there so I don’t think there should be any problem to keep it up for two years. I certainly need it up for a year, because just the return on the investment—I mean, to spend $350,000 on something, you don’t want it to tear down in six months. We wouldn’t make back the money to pay for it.

1 Like

Beneficiary of strategic menu pricing & knowing your clientele translates to healthy margins…

Hearth Baked

$12.00

French Baguette | Roasted Khashk Eggplant | Sicilian Olive Oil | Le Beurre Bordier

Spicy Big Eye Tuna Tartare Cones*

$34.00

Sesame - Ginger Tuile | Chili Aioli | Wasabi | Tosa Soy | Diakon Sprouts

Pizza with Shaved French Black Truffles

$72.00

Comte | Fontina | Black Truffle Béchamel | Parmigiano Reggiano

Pizza with House Cured Smoked Scottish Salmon*

$38.00

Red Onion | Dill Creme Fraiche | Chives | Salmon Roe

Japanese Aji Sashimi*

$28.00

Yuzu Ponzu | O - Nigiri | Toasted Sesame | Daikon Radish | Shiso Blossoms

Roasted Babe Farm’s Roasted Baby Beets

$25.00

Provençal Olive Oil | Maast O Moosir | Aged Balsamic | Upland Cress | Pistachios

Cara Cara Orange & Endive Salad

$26.00

Niçoise Olives | Herbs | Butter Lettuce Hearts | Champagne Vinaigrette

Hand Cut Marcho Farm’s Veal Tartare*

$39.00

French Black Truffles | Shallots | Potato Crisps | Quail Egg | Black Truffle Aïoli

Hand Rolled Garganelli Pasta “Carbonara”*

$39.00

Black Truffles | Guanciale | Pecorino Romano | Black Pepper | Uova

Agnolotti del Plin

$26.00

Celery Root | Mascarpone | Black Truffle Butter | Parmigiano Reggiano

Lacquered Liberty Farm’s Duck Breast*

$52.00

Quince | Yellow Turnip | Braised Red Cabbage | Sun Dried Cherries

Pan Roasted Half Jidori Chicken

$49.00

Black Trumpet Mushrooms | Goat Cheese | Yukon Gold Potatoes | Thyme

Roasted Rack of Colorado Lamb*

$68.00

Roasted Cauliflower | Fenugreek | Barberry - Saffron Scented Basmati Rice

Austrian Veal Weinerschnitzel

$54.00

Marinated Fingerling Potatoes | Cucumbers & Caraway | Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil

1 Like

About par with majordomo/Bastia/Republique et al imo

1 Like

Unless Majordomo has raised its prices significantly, depending on what you order I think it could be a lot cheaper than that. They typically have 6-8 appetizers $18 or under.

I haven’t seen their P&L’s, but I suspect they’re OK. Wolfgang Puck sells frozen food at supermarkets. They sell pizza at airports. This is an empire.

Has anyone recently done outdoor Korean BBQ in Ktown with tables that were well spaced? I’m really missing that.

Park’s tables look well-spaced:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/parks-bbq-los-angeles?select=RQCwoaYrKVqkMZ6A5wriAg

4 Likes