Pardon if this question has been asked...where can I get a legit gyro, not gyro-loaf?

I’ve never seen anything like that in LA. Last time I had something like that was Mad Greek in Baker, CA on the way to Vegas. But that may have been over 10 years ago.

They alternated layers of beef and lamb.

Already have 2 solid results upthread, with 1 already verified (pork though, not lamb/beef)

Did anyone try Zuma Kitchen’s??

Per Yelp they’re advertised as doners/kebabs, and the prep looks more middle east than greek.

Looks good though.

So…to take this to its polar opposite, does anyone know where you can get a decent “gyro-loaf” style gyros sandwich? I don’t know for sure, but I’m pretty sure Papa Cristo’s doesn’t do the vertical-spit style, just fries up the “gyro-loaf” on the grill. I’ve been searching for years, and there WAS one somewhere out in Van Nuys, if I’m remembering correctly, but they’re long gone.

As I said upthread, maybe the Kronos cones that I loved have gone downhill–Mickey D’s, Burger King and Taco Bell were edible, if not chow-worthy, a few decades ago–but I’d love it if anyone could point me towards a likely spot, I’d appreciate it!

Knight Restaurant, DT Burbank
You can barely see it, but there’s a gyro loaf back there; they have an “olympia” gyro poster, if that is an alternative gyro-loaf brand.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/knight-restaurant-burbank-2?select=LV9JRcP9ljmSuwBZ0CC2aw

I’ve had the gyro here before and thought it was good at the time, and have been meaning to revisit.

Is the place in Reseda you’re thinking of “Firehouse”? They seem open, and have a gyro loaf. Same comment as above, been there once and thought it was good enough to warrant a return visit that I have not yet had.
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/firehouse-restaurant-tarzana-2?select=iXXhKfmFxVuX09E2RwCNTw

Petit Cafe in El Segundo. They Use Grecian Delight Loaf, which I like better than Kronos and they have a Chicken loaf as well. They also do Chicken Kabob “Gyros” but they put Tahini on it. You have to specify that they dress it up like a traditional Gyro for the tzatziki.

–Dommy!

Yikes… is that true? I’ve never been the biggest fan of Papa Cristo’s gyros, but that would be pretty weak.

I’m pretty sure Aliki’s in Westchester has a cone on a spit. To be honest, however, I find their food mediocre and overpriced.

These days, my favorite gyro is at Mega Pizza Grille in Culver City. They have the cone on a spit but also crisp up the pieces on the grill for lovely textural contrast. The only caveat is it’s more Turkish style (i.e., yogurt dill and hot sauces, not tzatziki).

Thanks, I’d never heard of this place but it is within range for lunch.

http://www.megapizzagrille.com

My favorite gyro/shawarma or falafel up to now is the Hungry Pocket on Pico across from SMC. They also warm and crisp the loaf meat on their grill. Be sure to ask for their hot sauce.

1 Like

It’s been a while since I went to Hungry Pocket, but I always loved their falafel and hot sauce.

PS: Try the “pizza gyro sandwich” at Mega Pizza. The regular gyro is good, too, but the crisp, warm crust from the pizza takes it to the next level.

ALEXANDER’S GREEK KITCHEN in Vernon. It is the only place I’ve found in LA that wraps their gyro fresh every morning (it’s made from pork- which is actually a pretty standard option in Greece). It’s so good, and it’s 100% gyro… not shawarma or anything like that. Sooo good.

3 Likes

Pics look pretty good; fries also included here.

2 Likes

Dude, it’s soooo good. I was actually surprised that it wasn’t mentioned a million times on a thread this long.

My god… it’s full of fries!

Okay, I’m a gonna say that maybe the fries are a relatively new thing? (I went to Greece > 16 yrs ago). Do you think they enhance texture/flavor?

I thought fries in a gyro were a standard add on (like fries in an Israeli falafel.)

I don’t order gyros a ton either here or abroad, but I’ve never been offered them IN my gyros. But it looks like it’s very common, I guess. I’ve also never been offered that the few times I’ve ordered an Israeli falafel (but I’ve only done that at one place 2 times).

They are definitely not standard in Greece (and most part of Europe) but starting the last few years yiu can request them.

years ago, and i mean years ago, i had a gyro in st. germain in paris. it
had fries in the sandwich.
oh, and they had this mustard i’ve still never had the likes of again.

This is by no means indicative of all of greece but when I went to greece as a child in the 90’s pretty much every gyro shop I went to put fries in their gyros. It was one of my most vivid memories of the trip, pulling the fries out of the gyros and eating them since my parents wouldn’t buy a me a side order of fries separately at any of the shops.