Paris - Fancy mid-week lunch

I found this article really helpful in navigating the three stars in Paris, though it might not be recent enough for you. The writer ate lunch at all the three stars at the time. I ended up going with Le Cinq (for dinner) not just based on the article but because of other sriticles (and the spaghetti dish). I enjoyed it, but if I were to go back to Paris again, I would probably try Arpège given how iconic it is (even if it is vege heavy).

Also second the love for John Talbott. Based on his blog, I ended up going to Boucherie Hugo Desnoyer (you dine in a butcher shop!) and Les Enfants Rouge.

1 Like

@nyctoLA Thanks for the link. I browsed around a bit more after posting my initial inquiry. Arpege is back on the list, the lobster dish looks amazing and appears I can request supplement courses to the prix fixe.

Thanks for the reminding me of the Boucherie. I was on the quest for some European beef after watching the “Steak (R)evolution” documentary on Netflix at that time. I tried to go on my last trip but don’t recollect why I ended up not being able to make it.

Had an excellent lunch at L’Ambroisie. Met and exceeded my expectations for a grande dame classic 3* Parisian experience. Some will find the menu boring or dated. However if you’re looking for some perfectly executed classic French luxe cuisine. This will check all the boxes. Service was perfect - friendly in a French manner, efficient, unobtrusive, appearing at all the right moments.

Highlights - Huge langoustines, the utterly decadent bass (bar) over artichokes in a pool of caviar & the amazing chocolate tart.

Note: Portions are large!

6 Likes

What was that first little cake sort of thing?

It was a mini bundt shaped bread.

Updating this worthwhile subject, noting the OP’s SO’s reticence for overly long meals, and as an introduction to “fine dining”, Alliance provides an extraordinary lunch at a price point that is astounding considering food and ambiance. Remember that at this level, what is described as, say, a four course meal in reality is more like a dozen when you include all of the extra small plates. An incredible value.

3 Likes

And the “price point” (one of my most annoying terms lol) is what???

Rillettes = 4 euros, gaspacho = 4 euros, baguette = a euro, wine = 4 euro , so about 17 euros for lunch for two people for two days. Actually, the pot of rillettes will last us for several days more snacks.

Love it!. Under $20 for lunch for two. And rillettes, one of my faves, for snacking. Thanks.

@catholiver MY APOLOGIES! I confused this thread with one on rillettes in which I had described it as one of our favorite lunches in France.

Staying and answering in this thread, the four course lunch at Alliance will set you back 59 euros. This is a “bargain” in comparison to its 150 - 200 euro dinner service. The point of my post above was to suggest a simpler, shorter and less expensive fine dining experience.

1 Like

The price difference between lunch and dinner seems pretty universal. I don’t understand it but it is what it is. We’re in our 70s and prefer going out to lunch.

1 Like

Less expensive, fewer tourists, fewer drunks, usually quieter, what’s not to like?

1 Like