Pasadena Updates

It reopened in Arcadia in the old din tai fung spot

Well, we know that they opened in Arcadia last fall. But somebody drove by the Pasadena location and said that looked like it was operating. And Google shows Pasadena has reopened, but there are no Yelp reviews.

Really? I am going to check it out!

Is there any small bites like bento box, chili wontons, pho near old town? Like under $20 for quick lunch or breakfast.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/paper-rice-spring-rolls-and-bowls-pasadena

I used to work in old town - this is right on the outskirts with easy parking. Very good pho.

1 Like

The old OSH building/site, at the corner of Colorado Blvd and Sierra Madre Villa, is becoming an Amazon Fresh:

https://www.coloradoboulevard.net/amazon-fresh-coming-e-pasadena/

And from Merrill Shindlerā€™s review of Kalaveras (corner of Foothill and Sierra Madre Blvd):

If you ask for a takeout menu at the skull-dominated Kalaveras, youā€™re handed an eight-inch by five-inch card, with smaller platitos and larger platotes, tacos and desserts. Nothing unusual about that. But 25 percent of the menu is dedicated to the notion that Kalaveras is, more than a place to eat, a destination in which to party hearty. Thereā€™s Margarita Monday, Tacos Tuesday, Mezcal Wednesday and Michelada Thursday. Thereā€™s a daily happy hour that stretches for four hours, from 3 to 7, when draft beer is $2.50 off and select cocktails are $5 off.

Adjacent to the takeout menu is a card announcing ā€œOur New Items.ā€ Three of them are edible ā€” the chorizo based El Nono Burger, the barbacoa Quesa Birria Taco, and the salmon Culichi Roll. The other five items are all drinkable ā€” very heavy on the fruit. As in the case of the La Vela (serrano flavored tequila with mano and pineapple). And the Mi Cucu (vodka with lemon, strawberry, kiwi and passion fruit).

Three of the drinks are described as ā€œFive Shots and a Lot of Noise!ā€ The Loka Loka cost $63, and is described as ā€œSpecialty Candy Shots.ā€

https://www.kalaveras.com/

2 Likes

A Kalaveras has also opened in Silver Lake.

1 Like

Went to Yucaā€™s and ordered a chicken torta and fries to go. The fries were great, well seasoned and crunchy but not hard. The torta turned out to be a carne asada version with a lot of dry chewy meat, but no chicken.

4 Likes

Yucaā€™s actually has one of my favorite cheeseburgers in LA. Only been to the Hillhurst location though

4 Likes

Went to Galeā€™s recently. Had some really good stuffed zucchini blossoms and some tasty salmon (large portion). Also had Galeā€™s Iconic Negroni. Excellent drink, but really $17? I think $14 or $15 would be asking enough, Gale. Inflation yeah yeah yeah.

1 Like

the building housing federico bakery at the corner of allen & colorado has been sporting a for lease sign for months, but it wasnā€™t obvious to me which space was going to be available. well, it turned to be federico bakery which quietly closed for good this month. that place had been open for decades. a sign suggests that the location will be taken over by a boba place. i canā€™t think of any other place offering boba in pasadena, but then i have little affinity for boba; still, when i think of boba drinkers i donā€™t think pasadena residents. maybe theyā€™re hoping to attract PCC students? itā€™s not far from PCC but itā€™s not what iā€™d consider los angeles walking distance from PCC either. and the place isnā€™t large enough to offer seating. well, i guess weā€™ll see.

Well, thereā€™s Tpumps on Lake. Every time I drive by, that place is totally packed. Lines out the door. Iā€™m not a not a boba fan, so I donā€™t get it, but maybe thereā€™s a hidden clientele or PCC students willing to travel a bit, so the new boba place might do just fine.

Pasadena has some of the best Boba tea in SGV right now. Itā€™s all in a small three block radius of Old Town.

Jin Tea, Cha Redefined and Prolece Tea - all have really high quality tea and boba with perfect chew. Jin is probably the best plain tea/boba place in SGV right now, they have their water tuned perfectly and tea brewed well and their boba is always the perfect texture.

I think Cha re-defined is the best tea spot sans boba (they do have good boba, but not what I go for). Also use high quality tea and brew it well with a large variety of options.

I like Jin and Cha cause they donā€™t have all the gimmicks of other boba places nowadays. Thereā€™s no smoothies, thereā€™s no giant cup of fruit in your tea. They let the tea shine and if there are added flavor profiles, itā€™s well incorporated.

10 Likes

I love Cha Redefineā€™s lemon tea especially on those 90F+ Pasadena weekends! Like a well-made arnold palmer with tasty Jasmine tea.

1 Like

granted, old town is in pasadena, but iā€™d be very surprised if the places mentioned actually get a majority of patrons that are pasadena residents; anything in any commercial district like old town should be expecting to rely on a certain amount of foot traffic which you shouldnā€™t be expecting at the corner of allen and colorado. the business models clearly arenā€™t the same. or at least iā€™d hope that the prospective owners of this new place realize this.

I was replying to your comment in that there are really high quality boba places in Pasadena.

again, my point stands. i rather doubt that those places are looking to draw pasadena residents vs. old town foot traffic. unless youā€™d also like to presume that every establishment in the americana or the glendale galleria is targeting glendale residents only, or that every store in the santa anita mall is targeting arcadia residents only, say so, and iā€™ll just ignore you.

and the real reason iā€™m posting: new restaurant samar('s?) mediterranean cuisine grand opening on NE corner of allen & villa.

1 Like

this has "street food is better in japan " vibes.

6 Likes

Your exact words. Whether itā€™s to target Pasadena residents or not is irrelevant.

We can go back and forth. But those were the words you typed.

4 Likes