Pasjoli - Santa Monica

Hmmn, I did a quick search and while the 2014 Jean Collet Chablis doesn’t seem to be available anymore, the 2017 is selling for $27 a bottle at Woodland Hills Wine, which usually has decent prices, https://www.whwc.com/p-44184-collet-jean-chablis-2017.aspx?utm_source=winesearcher&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_content=Collet/Jean%20Chablis%202017 so $22 for a glass is not out of line with restaurant pricing since I believe restaurants typically like to get the retail price of the bottle for each glass they sell. Which is why I hate ordering wine by the glass in restaurants, but if you are alone or your dining companions aren’t drinking, you are stuck.

I thought the rule of thumb was to set glass price at bottle WHOLESALE price, not retail. Have we moved on to pricing glasses at bottle RETAIL price? Or was I mistaken?

Remember that there’s no tipping, so $22 is equivalent to $18-19 elsewhere. The photo is of the 2017.

Standard markup for retail is 1.5X wholesale. Standard markup for a bottle in a restaurant used to be 3X wholesale (so 2X undiscounted retail), but a lot of places these days do 3.5 or more. Nice pricing for wine by the glass is 1/4 the bottle price but some places charge more, especially at the low end.

I forgot to add how much I loved not having to figure out the tip. Simply sign a receipt and you’re on your way! @TheCookie

And no hinting fom servers for more tip, like the “service charge” places.

7 Likes

Because of @PorkyBelly’s report and this thread I was about to put Pasjoli on my FTC47 2019 list… and I haven’t even eaten there yet!

3 Likes

(new) homard vol-au-vent - lobster, melted leek sauce béarnaise
Like a fancy french lobster pot pie, I just wish the portion was larger, it was more like an appetizer than a main.
When I’m cooked I want to be stuffed with shrimp and wrapped in puff pastry. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @Bookwich

(new) truite amandine - whole trout, smoked roe, romanesco
Trout was perfectly cooked and deboned. wish it wasn’t farmed though.

8 Likes

What’s the broccoli thing? Always on the lookout for vegetables.

1 Like

it’s the side of romanesco that came with the trout. they seemed roasted and came with almonds.

1 Like

I seriously wanted to jump thru the screen, eat this, then declare it my best bite of 2020 (I could vol-au-vent everyday of the week). Then I read Béarnaise! Why must they torment me? I hate tarragon!

2 Likes

Perhaps they would substitute Hollandaise. Surely they must have it. It seems tarragon is like cilantro; some of us love it and others hate it. My wife falls in your camp so I haven’t cooked with it for most of the last 32 years. A pity as I grew up with a wonderful poulet d’estragon served over pasta of all things.
Happy New Year!! When my work cycle finally slows down lets do a dinner!

2 Likes

Yep, I don’t hate cilantro but I get it because I have a visceral reaction to tarragon. Dinner would be delightful! Can we do poulet without d’estragon? :grin:

P.S. My basil died… again.

1 Like

It’s an annual. I pull mine out in October. Been too busy but about to put in Asian greens and lettuces for winter. Work has been interfering with my cooking and my gardening. We will do something more exciting than chicken, but I will pm you about it before all this private stuff gets flagged as off topic…so French maybe? Perhaps canard confit (I do have some foie gras frozen from before the ban…not a word of this!)? We can compare to Pasjoli - perhaps it will be tres joli (please excuse bad joke)!

1 Like

Ahhh… so it’s not necessarily me. We’ll have to discuss this over canard confit and pre-banned foie gras. :wink:

1 Like

That’s how A feels but if it’s the only steak on a menu he’s gettin’ it. I’m more of a ribeye gal now but still love filet if it has good beef flavor & texture. Petit Trois’ didn’t check either box. This one seems :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Bookwich! :joy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92BZs7hIGs/

5 Likes

He’s missing an opportunity to be the first to offer Curbside Bone Crushing.

On second thought, there may be some other “nightlife impresarios” that have offered that since Ancient Egyptian times.

4 Likes

@TheCookie, @Bookwich, @attran99, @ebethsdad
https://www.instagram.com/p/B97napxHm7x/

8 Likes

OMG! Any pricing available? I may do a Saturday morning run into the city for treats and supplies.

1 Like