Pasjoli - Santa Monica

Hmmm I recall Japan-style pricing at Hayato (that is, no specific mention of a gratuity). But I could be wrong, 'cuz usually I’m tipsy (pun intended) by the time the check is presented lol…

4 Likes

Sushi ginza onodera has service included in the price. But I can’t think of an alc restaurant that has everything included in the menu prices with no service charge bullshit. I kind of like it.

2 Likes

Yo tambien. Japan-style.

2 Likes

There’s also a line for additional gratuity which I know I’ve used because 16% is way too low for the service they provide.

4 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly.

3 Likes

Pasjoli (not pretty) reminded me of a larger, more comfortable kass, with a lounge in the front, open kitchen in the back, and bar and banquette on the sides.

sergio

beurre de baratte - house-cultured french butter, warm baguette
good, not as crusty as republique’s

crabe et chou-fleur - blue crab, cauliflower cream, sorrel
there were little pieces of cauliflower mixed in with the crab for a nice texture contrast. real nice balance of fat, acid, and sweetness. really good.

canard a la rouennaise a la presse (escoffier 3476)
this course came in three parts, the duck breast with blood sauce, salad with legs, and a side of potatoes. @DTLAeater

pasjoli_20190918_180905_1

pasjoli_20190918_181209_1

pasjoli_20190918_181443_1

the breast was soft with a bit of chew and the sauce was rich, earthy, and a bit hemoglobin-y.

duck serial number deux. a la tour d’argent

salad of salanova lettuce and duck leg
legs were fatty and delicious, the salad was a nice hit of acid to cut through the richness.

potato dauphinois
thin slices of potato, cream, and gruyere cheese, and topped with more toasty, crispy cheese. awesome.

souffle - bitter chocolate, vanilla ice cream
not bad, but doesn’t top bon temps’.

no tipping, no service charge @TheCookie

no toto

11 Likes

Nice first leg. We shall endeavor to finish out the total OOE menu tour when we go soon…

4 Likes

tout le meilleur

1 Like

I’ve tipped more, too. It’s insane for them to work that hard and not get extra.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! I had Beran’s canard a la presse at Dialogue and also the version at Republique. This new version seems more classic and worth trying. With some red burgundy.

2 Likes

Hello! This is so my kind of food.

What? How relaxing.

2 Likes

i’m surprised they’re not making a bigger deal out of it. the press, their website and even the menu from last night doesn’t mention the no tipping, no service charge policy. you would think they would want people to know the menu prices are inclusive of everything, except tax.

i thought maybe they changed their minds, but when i received the check it confirmed it.

4 Likes

So true, since peeps’ are grumbling about the prices.

Doesn’t it say “no tipping” at the bottom of the menu?

no

1 Like

The serveware looks beautiful from @PorkyBelly’s pictures. I am seriously into that kind of thing. Might even make me trek to Santa Monica.

Love service included restaurants, but it hasn’t worked for most restauranteurs, which is why most abandon it. First, you have consumers bitching about the menu prices. And the principal purpose of service included is to be able to pay cooks and dishwashers more since there are legal issues with including back of the house in the tip pool. But by paying back of the house more, you usually end up paying servers slightly less, which leads to servers leaving for other restaurants. And to those restaurant goers who say your menu prices are too high and your business expenses are of no interest to me and for God’s sake don’t talk to me about your healthcare premiums because you’re running the business and that’s your problem and you are probably making obscene amounts of money anyway, I saw welcome to fantasyland.

4 Likes

forgot to mention, each main course also includes a side dish

2 Likes

Interestingly, the laws have recently changed to allow BOH staff to participate. But it appears nobody has found a workable solution yet.

Source: Tip Pooling With Back-Of-House Is IN (in Most States); Manager and Supervisor Tip-Sharing Is OUT | Employment Advisor | Davis Wright Tremaine

Wrong as regards California. “Employees may be included in the tip pool only if they are in the ‘chain of service’ that results in a tip from a particular customer. In general, servers, bartenders, hosts, and bussers are considered to be in the chain of service, while cooks, dishwashers, and cashiers are not.”

Nobody has found a workable solution because the law isn’t as clear as the author states and no one wants to be a test case.