Pasjoli - Santa Monica

I’m lovin’ this place. How was the Thon et Tomate? Looks interesting.

1 Like

That is a beautiful meal!

1 Like

We were just there Saturday night and that turbot was one of the best prepared pieces of fish we’ve ever had. Tender, flaky, and just cooked through. The butter doesn’t hurt, either.

2 Likes

yes

Looking delish gonna have to do an sm run soon

1 Like

it was good, like a tuna tartare, a nice light starter. for appetizers i would rank it behind the onion tart and tied with the crab.

2 Likes

(new) canard bourdelaise - duck confit, preserved cherry, country bread
Like a perfectly balanced sweet, rich, and savory duck stew with topped with pieces of crispy bread. Highlight.

ragout d’oignons caramelises - caramelized onion, gruyere, pate brisee
A soup-less french onion soup inside a crispy tart. Delicious.

poussin farci - whole young chicken, butternut squash, blanquette de volaille
Chicken stuffed chicken. Chef david makes a stuffing out of the thighs and stuffs it back into the breasts. And I stuff it into my mouth. Highlight @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @attran99, @Bookwich

(new) tarte au fruit de la passion - green chartreuse crème

11 Likes

Funny! This restaurant is making me crazy.

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Is that half a passion fruit tart?

Is the pressed duck still being served?

1 Like

That’s one order of the passion fruit tart.

Yep at $165. But there’s a limited number per night so reserve in advance.

Omelette aux truffles; fines herbes, black truffle, gruyere.

Loved the salad, hazelnut vinaigrette was perfectly balanced.

I asked for a glass of white burgundy, and while I do like a nice Chablis, this is in no way a $22/glass wine.

I like the ambiance, but the portions are tiny and the food a bit bland. I actually requested salt. It was excellent salt. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

How was the omelette? Best omelette I have had recently was at the Nomad Hotel in NYC. It was perfect. Looking to recreate it. Hate the omelette at Petit Trois. Tried the omelette at Nomad downtown L.A. recently — close but no cigar. Think it sat around the kitchen before they brought it to me. The only reason I want to go to Pasjoli is for the omelette,

Republique makes an excellent omelette, I think you’d like it.

Having struggled with omelettes for many years this was a welcome revelation, The Foolproof Steps to Making a Perfect French Omelette at Home

4 Likes

Hmmn, I did a quick search and while the 2014 Jean Collet Chablis doesn’t seem to be available anymore, the 2017 is selling for $27 a bottle at Woodland Hills Wine, which usually has decent prices, https://www.whwc.com/p-44184-collet-jean-chablis-2017.aspx?utm_source=winesearcher&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_content=Collet/Jean%20Chablis%202017 so $22 for a glass is not out of line with restaurant pricing since I believe restaurants typically like to get the retail price of the bottle for each glass they sell. Which is why I hate ordering wine by the glass in restaurants, but if you are alone or your dining companions aren’t drinking, you are stuck.

I thought the rule of thumb was to set glass price at bottle WHOLESALE price, not retail. Have we moved on to pricing glasses at bottle RETAIL price? Or was I mistaken?

Remember that there’s no tipping, so $22 is equivalent to $18-19 elsewhere. The photo is of the 2017.

Standard markup for retail is 1.5X wholesale. Standard markup for a bottle in a restaurant used to be 3X wholesale (so 2X undiscounted retail), but a lot of places these days do 3.5 or more. Nice pricing for wine by the glass is 1/4 the bottle price but some places charge more, especially at the low end.

I forgot to add how much I loved not having to figure out the tip. Simply sign a receipt and you’re on your way! @TheCookie

And no hinting fom servers for more tip, like the “service charge” places.

7 Likes

Because of @PorkyBelly’s report and this thread I was about to put Pasjoli on my FTC47 2019 list… and I haven’t even eaten there yet!

3 Likes