Pasta sauces

These lovely drum stick looking short ribs are going to end up a pasta ragout or sugo tonight. Stewed for 3 hours yesterday.

What do you like to do?

6 Likes

Pick each piece up with my bare hands and proceed to slurp the meat right off the bone.

3 Likes

Those short ribs look fabulous. Damn. At the moment I would grill some nice bread , then drizzle with olive oil . Steam then saute some chard . And serve with those ribs . Whatever you do there is no wrong.

1 Like

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don’t see this as a “pasta sauce.”

Looks like the base to a great Sunday gravy to me!

1 Like

Sunday gravy

My first thoughts, too! Recently I did just a pork skin braciole (because nothing else would fit in the pot) but next time I’ma do the full gravy

2 Likes

What’s in that please? Looks perfect.

It’s Kenji’s slow cooked red sauce with the braciole peeking out near the top (and another completely submerged). Recipe for the red sauce is here (plus I threw in a couple parm rinds) and the braciole was parsley and parm rolled in pig skin and tied off every few inches.

The cook time in the recipe is perfect for the skin which comes out so broken down and unctuous I think I’d give it a few extra ties of butchers twine next time. I’d show the result but it’s not particularly pleasing to the eye. Definitely ugly delicious

I look at that and the silly word “unctuous” comes to mind. In the best sort of way. Thanks.

And then there was pasta

7 Likes

It’s the beginning. That’s how a restaurant would start a short rib pasta based sauce

But not an Italian restaurant as the focus is on the pasta.

You’ve heard of Bestia ? First example I thought of.

Mine came out well :). Tons of rosemary

2 Likes

So Bestia has tons of meat and almost no pasta? Yuck.

How lovely!

You’ve inspired me to make a sugo or Sunday gravy this weekend.

1 Like

Love pasta . And what may I ask are they . They look like little clams .

I wanted something that cups meat chunks . These are strangely called gnocchi

1 Like

Wow . Dried or fresh?

Reading the New Yorker’s profile of Massimo Bottura changed my approach to making ragù.

… the important thing was “no tomato” and the secret was: Don’t grind the meat; wait until the ragù is cooked, and then do what the grandmothers did—chop it or tear it apart.

2 Likes