Pastrami, Glorious Pastrami

Happy Holidays from San Diego!

Anyone try Daughter’s deli yet?

6 Likes

I did! Like going to Langer’s with less hassle (at least for me since it’s much closer). It’s counter service with a much smaller menu. The pastrami and rye bread were comparable, though they put yellow mustard on their basic pastrami sandwich, which is not my go to mustard for pastrami.

I’ll be back!

6 Likes

Adios, Wexler’s Century City.

1 Like

Has anyone tried The Bad Jew? I didn’t see anything in the archives and am curious about porkstrami (and corned pork).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCUE8XNjSs7/

wow— haven’t heard about that.

sounds pretty interesting although the thought of havarti on a reuben-type sandwich does not sound very good. way too buttery for that combination of ingredients.

5 Likes

Got it (Ugly Drum at Bludso’s).

Never had Ugly Drum b/f. Pastrami is deeply smoky and wonderful (if you like smoky). Sandwich is HUGE (same size as a tall man’s hand). Cole slaw needs more acidity to counteract the richness. Don’t balk at the $19 price. If you the entire thing for lunch, you won’t need much, if anything, for dinner.

BTW, does anyone know where they source the sourdough??? That stuff is AMAZING. Such a tender crumb (and yet held together well), and a crust that has just the right chew for a sandwich.

Bludso’s only allows on-line ordering. The place seemed decently busy, which was a nice sight.

8 Likes

Unless things have changed, they use Bub & Grandma’s bread.

3 Likes

Ugly Drum slangs their burnt end sandwiches via Goldbelly - oh my god it is amazing. Top 3 pastrami sandwich even in its FedEx delivery form.

8 Likes

I saw this on Yelp:

https://yelp.to/ezCMVg4AFgb

Ugly Drum
13346 Saticoy St, Ste 14
North Hollywood, CA 91605

Anyone have intel? This is the same operation, I assume.

That’s their kitchen and new pickup location.

1 Like

Where was this post 8 hrs ago??? I was half a mile away from there today!!!

1 Like

There’s a great Mexican place across the street called Mi Ranchito Veracruz.

I’ve posted about them before. In addition to some tasty traditional favorites they had Veracruz style tamales, wrapped in banana leaves.

Haven’t been in a while. Looks like the tamales may no longer be on the menu.

They had $1 taco of the day on Tuesday.

3 Likes

How does ugly drum compare to Langers?

1 Like

smokier. feels and eats like bbq made with pastrami. the burnt end sandwich is truly amazing.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Lol u couldn’t pay me to wait in what I would predict to be a pretty shitshow line for half off sandwiches

4 Likes
2 Likes

Anyone know what happened to ugly drum? Yelp says they closed?