Peach & Cherry Cobbler

Hi, Anyone have a cherry cobbler recipe they can share with me? I was going to make this Sour Cherry Cobbler Recipe - Food.com America’s test kitchen one, but it has red wine in it. What’s a good substitute for red wine?

I always use Lindsey Shere’s cobbler dough recipe from Chez Panisse Desserts.

That America’s Test Kitchen recipe sounds gloppy. Are you using Morello cherries from a can / jar?

Assuming you are using canned sour cherries, for the filling I’d use this recipe from the 1950 Betty Crocker:

• 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2-1/2 cups sour cherries and juice

Mix ingredients in saucepan and cook over moderate heat until mixture thickens.

Yes, using canned sour cherries. Thank you for your help. will post pics.

cherry and peach.

4 Likes

Going to make a peach cobbler for a friend’s bday. Fresh peaches or canned? why and why not? I always use canned. Thinking of using fresh but scurred.

1 Like

I always use fresh peaches or nectarines when I make cobbler especially since its the height of stone fruit season. Never tried canned peaches. Not sure that it makes too much of difference, just following the recipe. The fruit in my cobbler ends up being soft after cooking anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not much of a baker so I’m pretty proud of myself for this effort at fresh peach cake. Could have stayed in another minute or two because the bottom was a bit too moist. But overall a keeper.

8 Likes

Looks good!

I make them all the time, just was thinking of using fresh peaches, but there really is no need.

1 Like