Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Made it out to PRD today. (Chinatown is the furthest we’ve driven from West LA during the pandemic.) Was glad to see that it was pretty mellow in Far East Plaza (compared to my previous visit where there were hordes of Postmates drivers hanging around waiting for Howlin’ Ray’s).

Finally got to try their wonton mee with char siu. Delicious! The char siu had that nice ratio of fat to meat. Their wonton was delicate and may be the best wonton I’ve ever eaten (apologies to my grandmother).

Their chow fun was still spectacular, both char siu and vegetarian versions. I made sure that everyone in my family had their own order so we didn’t fight over it this time.

Picked up a container of their mapo sauce because it’s so good and makes cooking dinner easy (and makes me look like a good chef).

My picky daughter is still talking about how good the char siu was, hours later. Guess I’ll be making a return trip soon. Worth it!

16 Likes

Lucky kid! Most of us Chinese-Americans here in So Cal grew up on Sam Woo. What a time to be a kid and have PRD/Needle as your char siu choices

6 Likes

@NYCtoLA, @Chowseeker1999, @attran99

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEsLMouj9Nq/

11 Likes

stir fried clams with black bean sauce and basil is a cantonese classic. i better camp there tomorrow. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Save me a spot, looking forward to your report tomorrow.

2 Likes
2 Likes

What is toishan style fried rice? Specific ingredients or preparation?

10 Likes

WUT, chowhound still around? thought everyone left it for dead lol

I was curious about this, so I looked into Chinese websites about what fried rice / rice dish do Toishanese people in Toishan China eat.

One of the legit preparations of OG Taishan fried rice is this (Tsai Gwor Fan)

It involves the use of locally grown kohlrabi (Tsai Gwor), but also Chinese celery, cilantro, scallion, pork, dried shrimp, Cantonese lap cheung (with 30% fat, 70% lean) and/or preserved duck…some might add mushrooms, carrots, corn. Essentially it looks like a mish mash of whatever ingredients could be procured, but also culturally what the locals there use for a lot of their cooking.

I’m sure over here, this can be subject to interpretation with a California spin and western cooking techniques.

2 Likes

Sounds much like lap mei rice or claypot rice to a certain degree.

2 Likes

From Pearl River Deli - Toisan fried rice will have Chinese sausage, dried shrimp, gailan (I DM’ed them)

8 Likes

Evidently the Taco Bell thread is still alive and well.

What about the “Pasadena is weak” thread? I gotta admit: I’m not missing Chowhound at all.

2 Likes

macau pork chop with pineapple bun

bbbc | black bean basil clam noodles

pandan tofu pudding with ginger syrup

20 Likes

how were the clam noodles?

One of the IG photos with ingredients shows lime leaves and an onion but those are not listed in the recipe.

I love the classic flavor combination of clams with black bean sauce + basil but it was super aggressive in seasoning. Clams were aplenty, plump and tasty.

Noodles were soft, but I blame myself on arriving late to pick up as they were sitting and steaming in the container.

2 Likes

These noodles were ridiculous…the qq of them were perfect. Also the PRD team suggests to eat immediately for perfection. Love the meatiness and salinity of the clams! The black bean sauce reminded me of dishes growing up. After 6 bites…it was a touch salty for me, but really delicious.
Bang bang noodles for later. No cooking tonight.

13 Likes

That’s the way to do it!

I tried to rush over but couldn’t make it in time!
tenor

1 Like