Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Glad to hear about the improvements and great pictures less the green coaster. :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks, @JLee and team, for catering lunch for 2 households today! Called my order in and made the quick drive for pick up.

The Macau Pork Chop bun is a thing of wonder. So many familiar flavors rolled up into a sandwich…and the bun itself is so yum! Super flavorful and zero grease…my chowpup volunteered to finish the half I didn’t eat in the car on the way to my parents.
Sorry…very little pics since we just tore into it. Delivery to my parents included the soy sauce chicken, char siu noodle bowls, char siu rib noodles, chicken broth, and ginger-scallion sauce. My brother told me he loved the ginger-scallion sauce.
My household pulled a OOE. The most popular dishes were the shrimp scramble (holy God…it reminded me so much of my Mom’s lazy egg dinners growing up…and I LOVED her scrambles), the char siu noodles, the char siu ribs…basically anything char siu. I really like the texture and flavor PRD achieves…and the ginger-scallion sauce is crack for rice. The oldest chowpup enjoyed the tomato-egg…the sauce is so tasty you almost wish the rice was drowning in it.

This what’s leftover from lunch that will be had for dinner tonight…with some of the silkie chicken broth and more ginger-scallion sauce.

21 Likes

So great of Chef Johnny and his team (and all the other takeout purveyors out there) to serve the community during this time. I am just beat after work each day, so the takeout is very, very welcome.

12 Likes

Picked up char sieu, silky chix broth, shrimp/egg, tomato/egg, and short rib curry today. Everything was on point!

11 Likes

Meats now sold by the pound/rack

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-xWc4ajVLP

8 Likes

Chef Johnny Lee @JLee, cooking up new ideas at Pearl River Deli.

Far East Plaza felt a bit deserted earlier this week…

Char siu sando was outstanding. This one went down the gullet immediately in the car.

The order looked like this when it got home. I reheated it and re-plated it…

Just really comforting food. New to the menu, PRD’s Cantonese “borscht” was a big hit with the whole family - ribs, cabbage, carrot, tomato, all slow cooked. The Hakka stir fry, with fried egg and rib all meshed nicely. Gotta go back soon!

17 Likes

@J_L even your at-home plating is as awesome as the plates you take photos of while dining out.

2 Likes

Is that a single or double order of ribs?

Single!

3 Likes

Hakka Salt Baked Chicken
Chow Fun
Macau Baked Chicken

New menu items, rotating I assume.

1 Like

Looks amazing, but someone tell Johnny that looks more like schi than borscht :slight_smile:

That was really good - went on Sat. Five Spice powder was the predominant flavor. Chicken was VERY moist. Hainan Scallion-Ginger dressing was fab. Didn’t eat it until dinner so no residual crispiness.

The Shui Mei (bought cold, home-steamed) were wonderful too. My wife thought they were the best she’s ever had!
This beast, eaten at a self-disinfected table with @J_L 12 feet away, was incredible:

13 Likes

When we went, they also had zhong (zi) listed but had sold out (drat).

1 Like

It was very nice seeing you IRL for a bit @CiaoBob, even though you were in an adjacent zip code.

My “secret menu” Char Siu Scramble Sando was off-the-chain. Thanks to Chef @JLee !

6 Likes

I was there Saturday at well and dined al fresco, aka windows downs in the car on North Broadway. I bring large towels because I realized many of the things I eat are not the easiest to eat without making a mess.

Pork chop bun - I enjoyed the soft bun and the pork chop is very moist. Killed this fucker first and cleaned the bone.

Charsui - really enjoyed this, super tender and just the right amount of fat and char from the glaze. I should have gotten this over rice since fat saturated rice is one of my life’s pleasures. Next time I’m getting a charsui bowl and an order of charsui for the road.

BBQ ribs - very generous portion, however I do not recommend eating this in your car unless you have super meticulous eating skills which I do not.

18 Likes

Siu Mai seems to always sell out!

goes great over rice or noodles! I would get this, some rice, and a side of choy for comforting dinner

5 Likes

Sorry I am one man making siu mai and there are some people trying to get 4 orders at a time, eventually I’ll catch up once I gauge proper demand but it has become the bane of my existance as I didn’t open this restaurant to make dumplings 24/7. Cantonese food isn’t even very dumpling oriented but people always seem to gravitate towards those when they are on the menu. If anything I may start implementing a 2 order per person max rule so that everyone has a chance to try them.

15 Likes

Such true words.

3 Likes

Yeah, Chinese dumplings didn’t show up in LA until I was 40 years old.

3 Likes

My HK friend (when I talk about the kind of Chinese food I like): “Oh, you mean, like, dumplings? I hate that stuff.” My dad (when I tell him about my friend’s reaction): “Of course he said that; he’s from Hong Kong.”

Although, as an avowed dumpling lover, I don’t consider siu mai to be dumplings (and don’t actually particularly like siu mai). :wink:

3 Likes