Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

I highly recommend! It’s a great way to cook boneless skinless chicken breast and takes shorter than you think! We have the Joule.

2 Likes

I have an Anova but I see that you’re a fellow chefstep fan eh?

How was the Tomato Beef. Or really how was the sauce? Hopefully just the right amount of sweetness

also FYI, [quote=“moonboy403, post:394, topic:11183”]
of Hainan chicken, can potentially be improved upon even though there seemingly isn’t a rival in sight in LA. The first is the flaccid skin. Traditionally, the ideal skin of a great Hainan chicken should be taut, elastic, and having a layer of jelly sitting just below the skin. Perhaps the chicken’s skin is inherently thin and lacking fat? The second potential improvement is the use of yellow feathered chicken, known for its robust chicken flavor and longer maturation period, rather than the meatier but less flavorful Mary’s chicken.

From left to right, we have ginger scallion oil, a :fire: sauce with great balance of heat, sweetness & tanginess, as well as a sweet soy sauce. The ginger scallion oil is can have extra oomph by using chicken fat but I don’t think any restaurant in LA does this.
[/quote]

@hungryhungryhippos

So Shadrack is correct about cooking time/temperature leading to pasteurization. I cook my chicken breast to 145F and dark meat to 155F for what I believe is the optimal texture. As far as food safety guidelines go I ahere to the timetable listed in this document:

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/37692722/svguidelines-finalforweb

Page 14: chicken should be pasteurized at 145F if held there for 4 minutes, so while the bird still appears pink, I’ve been eating my chicken like that for my entire life without adverse affect. I think you have a higher chance of contracting a foodborne illness if the chicken was not handled cleanly or if you buy a commodity chicken raised in a factory farm setting (we use Jidori as of right now by the way). Hope that helps to assuage any concerns you may have but feel free to be skeptical of my use of this science since I am not scientist myself so I am doing the best based on what I can comprehend.

@moonboy403

In regards to wenchang chicken, its a breed but also the name of a dish which is what Hainan chicken was originally based on. Being that the dish was supposedly invented in Singapore by Hainanese immigrants who usually worked as house servants and cooks they adapted the original dish was wenchang chicken (which was basically boiled chicken in salted water and served with a wedge of calamansi lime) to what we know it as today. I dont think there is a actually a real traditional chicken that is suppose to be used since it was created out of immigrants using what ingredients they had available to make a similar dish to what they were familiar with.

17 Likes

Appreciate it at @JLee super informative and thanks I don’t know either that’s why I thought I’d ask.

Tried to order hainan today but you guys were unfortunately out :frowning: next time

1 Like

Back from the rock and one of our first stops was PRD

The secret off menu special. Shu Mai was delicious plump, with large discernible chunks of shrimp and tobiko roe up top. Truly one of the best in town. Think it might have been steamed a tad long as it was quite firm, i was expecting it to have a more juicy and soft texture but still tasty.

Bolo bao pork chop. Still as tasty and well fried as before now bone free! I actually really enjoyed the bone but maybe this is easier to package and consume.

Wonton noodles. Probably the best wonton noodles in town. Wontons were so juicy (what I kind of expected with the shui mai) and the shrimp noodles had great chew.

Still have toisan fried rice, mapo sauce, and char sui pork neck to get through.

12 Likes

How’s the siu mai? Any cross section pic? :grinning:

1 Like

Nope I ate them too quickly. I don’t have the photo-fu that you guys have. Half the time I forget to take a picture prior to my first couple bites. Hence some of the shrimp wontons are missing.

1 Like

I had the siu mai yesterday…I thought they were a great rendition. They were incredibly meaty…which makes them extra popular in my household. They disappeared quickly after I packed half a dozen for the spouse’s night shift dinner.
The tomato & beef is saved for lunch tomorrow. I had a few bites while it was fresh and I loved it. I paired it with the noodles…and I love me some saucy noodles.

5 Likes

Break down a chicken, seal white and dark separately Cooking it sous vide to the time and temp as described by jlee will def result in a great Hainan chicken. Shock in water bath for that jelly. Only down side is you don’t have the broth for the rice. But if you just take the rendered fat and juices it should be sufficient

3 Likes

Agreed with an immersion circulator capable of producing Hainan chicken but gotta make a broth first to sous vide the chicken in. I’m way too lazy to put in the extra effort.

Welcome back

2 Likes

The advantage of a restaurant is with bulk pricing I can get 20lbs of jidori bones for $15 and create gallons of stock, something the home cook cannot achieve in terms of economies of scale. Same thing with the fat too, there’s no way you will get enough fat to coat the rice from one chicken so we order a bulk pack of jidori chicken fat, render it with some scallion and ginger to create a flavored fat, a few gallons at a time.

17 Likes

Next time send me a direct message on my personal instagram and I’ll do my best to save one @senor_johnny

6 Likes

Thanks appreciate it!

Thanks! I plan on gaining the return-15

1 Like

You’re absolutely right on that with the stock and chicken fat. These small, but significant steps you’ve developed over the years dating back to sticky rice, sidechick, etc really allow prd Hainan chicken to shine. Sure beats my small tub of chicken fat that collected and rendered in the freezer. :rofl:

2 Likes

with a piping hot bowl of rice it was quite comforting after watching the train-wreck that is the chokeadelphia football team.

sauce had a slight ketchup sweetness to it with some bits of ginger. the tomatoes were really nice and juicy.

3 Likes

PRD x Holbox

Don’t toss that delicious hot sauce that comes with your Hainan chicken and use it as a dip for your Holbox chips.

8 Likes

Either a pro move or a degenerate one: mix all three of the sauces for the Hainan chicken into the leftover rice. it was so good :smiley:

5 Likes