Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

Totally agree. I don’t think anyone ever took their “reviews” seriously.

1 Like

i’d definitely be down for some Cantonese fried squab.

4 Likes

smoked with chrysanthemum and longjin tea leafs or marinated! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGqddizDhTB/

6 Likes

@JLee chiuchow beef ball prep Ala flavorful origins?

3 Likes

Damn that looks so good…

PRD’s Chiu Chow Noodle Soup and Sorrowful Rice bang bang with Needle’s new Oyster Sauce Beef stir fry…

2 Likes

Can I give Chef Johnny some bantam chickens to stew some sorrowfully hearty Chinese OG chicken broth?

3 Likes

I will admit I was heavily influenced by the show.

4 Likes

Those were indeed some fine looking balls

1 Like

Haha!

Chicken ovaries, or ovipositors?

Sorrowful Rice

This was my first Sorrowful Rice experience and JFC I can see why it is so coveted.

The premium cut was incredibly flavorful and juicy–absolutely the best version of char siu I’ve had period. The rice was perfectly and evenly sauced, and held up nicely as a base that captured all the flavors sitting above.

I also have to give a special shout out to the expertly fried egg. One of my greatest personal pleasures is breaking into a poached or fried egg and letting the yolk run all over everything beneath. Box triple checked here. The second it broke I began folding it into the rice, and when taken in a clump with a bite of pork, it became one of my most memorable bites of the year.

18 Likes

Aw yeah!

1 Like

iykyk

15 Likes

So glad to see on IG that they got a ton of takeout orders from the Infatuation article. Say what you will about the publication, but it’s nice to see that their influence can help boost a small, hard working shop’s profile so significantly.

8 Likes

pro tip for anybody wanting to join the chicken club now that they’re infatuation-famous. text in your order as early as you can.

exactly when that is, I’m not quite sure yet. they say the earliest is a day before, so is that midnight the day before? or after the close of business two days before so that when they read your text it’s the day before?

I barely got my order in texting them 30 minutes before opening the day before. they had so many preorders to go through I didn’t hear back until 2pm. by that time my pick-up time wasn’t available anymore and I was able to get my full order in only because there was a cancellation.

@JLee have you thought about going back to tock for chicken orders? it seemed to work pretty well.

3 Likes

I have thought about going back to Tock but theres still potential issues I need to figure out like the fact that people tend to want to addon to their orders but if I wanted to allow them to order other dishes in advance theres a potential to oversell items and their inventory limiting management is kinda limited itself.

I’m trying to figure out a more fairer way to provide access to more people. One idea I’m floating around is setting aside a certain number of portions for walkins only on a first come first serve basis but that may mean people will start waiting before we open if it stays as popular as it does.

13 Likes

Congrats on the Infatuation piece and your success @JLee! Sounds like you might need some more help. A proper ordering system seems essential to growth.

7 Likes

Are you offering/applying?

2 Likes

i think he’s got 4 ppl working in the kitchen now? i think his main problem is space. that kitchen is small!

2 Likes