Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

I’m just bustin your balls, don’t take me seriously

At Lunasia its around $6, would you be willing to pay $8 for an order because for me that’s how much I’d want to charge to make it worth my time.

shutupandtakemymoney.gif

I already pay $13 for wonton noodles you think $8 for siu mai is going to shock me?

5 Likes

Hard to tell sometimes on here, I remember reading awhile back when one poster thought the current new generation of restaurant owners/chefs were “entitled”

When you work as hard as we do and see careless comments like that, it makes us want to say, “screw it” and go either corporate or private. I know of a few chefs who are making great money being private chefs and having a good quality of life after leaving restaurants. At some point some of us may get sick and tired of people giving us pushback for wanting to charge $8 for an order of siumai and if enough do then I’d rather quit and go make real money elsewhere, it would be unfortunate if many talented chefs take their talent off the public market because at the end of the day I’ll keep eating well but with less chefs incentivized to open independent restaurants it will suck for the rest of you unless you have plenty of money for access. So I hear you when you say you are joking but sometimes those kind of comments can be discouraging/annoying.

14 Likes

So…there’s a chance? :crazy_face:

3 Likes

sigh… There’s always a chance I suppose.

6 Likes

Would you consider doing a preorder only model for dishes that you do need/want to charge a premium for?

5 Likes

I hope some of you got lucky with the Sweet and Sour Pork

2 Likes

Aw yeah! This is an ERTAT (in the car) dish…

15 Likes

19 Likes

Wow that looks good

hainan chicken
Excellent as usual whether it’s white or dark meat.

pork neck char siu
Char siu on this visit is probably the best I’ve had at PRD. Each thin slice is succulent, tender, and slightly pink. Great stuff. One thing I did notice that’s different than before is that only one side has that beautiful blackened grill-charred edges aka flavor bomb.

sweet and sour pork with pork cap
First thing I did when I picked up my order was to open up this box of very nice looking SSP and get a taste of it while it’s still crunchy and pipin’ hot! Taking a bite, the crust’s decent crunch gave way to firm, meaty but generously marbled porky interior. The sauce, however, is very mild in both sweet and sour notes so it would be nice if they can be turned up a notch to balance these very rich bites. Overall, the dish is done nicely with each piece of pork and veg cut quite evenly…there wasn’t any sauce pooling on the bottom and PRD also took time to stir-fry the veg for a bit of caramelization too.

20 Likes

What’s ERTAT?

Eat Right Then And There! :slight_smile: lol

5 Likes

Sweet & sour pork was super legit! I almost forgot that I needed to eat it immediately in the car until the PRD provided a gentle reminder. Crispy nuggets of luscious pork in the brightest and freshest tasting sweet and sour sauce i have ever had. Also I am a sucker for fresh pineapple.
One of the chowpups loves just the plain and simple PRD noodles…more than grandma’s. He was more excited by the noodles than his shrimp scramble. :woman_shrugging:t2: Simple pleasures, I guess.
HCR was in high demand this weekend, and it was fun to see Chef @JLee butchering poached chickens through the window. It is an oddly satisfying and mesmerizing thing to watch.

18 Likes

Did anyone get to try the persimmon kakigori as well?

16 Likes

I was wondering why that giant bucket of glorious persimmons was there at the store! Argh. Must ask next time.

4 Likes

Pro-tip: Byo fresh cilantro

asks the PRD PX :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Ever since I was a kid I loved going to Chinese bbq shops to see them chop it up with those cleavers! Hell yeah it is satisfying to watch.

Glad to see FTC order a quarter of the available sweet and sour pork. I hope it stays on the menu.

1 Like

Why cilantro?

It goes well with it. My perfect spoonful - Rice, chicken, chili & ginger/scallion oil, touch of scallion & cilantro

6 Likes