Permanent Space? Roberta's at Platform

Stopped by today for an early lunch. How early you ask?

Menu:

Ordered the Original:

Cheesy goodness. Perfect crust that was foldable but never soggy. These seem larger than the ones served during the pop-up. I’d guess 13”. My pizza lacked the pepper flakes (or at least they were barely noticeable). I was offered pepper flakes and chili oil, and I added both to bring up the heat.

10 Likes

Thanks for the report. Damn they better be larger than the pop-up if they’re charging $19 vs $12 for the bee sting. The ones at the pop-up were about 9 inches.

https://foodtalkcentral.b-cdn.net//uploads/default/optimized/3X/c/3/c3f868b3a41bf97666045813f95744b848c0cafd_1_690x388.jpg

2 Likes

Damn dat looks GOOD. We tried to go at lunch but were deterred by the long line. It was weird bc the place seemed empty on the inside. Wondered if maybe they were having some issues first day.

Glad to see they’re larger than the pop-up! Seeing @PorkyBelly’s pic reminds me they were a little on the small side.

I was there today and there were 6-7 “cool” people waiting in line for a table in nearly empty restaurant. I hate lines, so I went inside and asked why there was a line outside, and the lady said to go ahead and sit at the bar. So I did. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand why a person would stand in line and wait to be allowed into a near empty place?

2 Likes

haha, maybe they were hired shills.

1 Like

WAT? So why were those people waiting in line?

Thanks! Walked right in. Prolly works only if you are a single person at least for dinner

I went for dinner. There was a line 15 people deep, but the restaurant was only 60% full. I asked the hostess and she said it was by order of the head chef. Given that it’s their first couple days of operation, they don’t want to inundate the kitchen with a constant 100% capacity restaurant. They want to get comfortable with 60% then 70% etc. before unleashing the floodgates. When I went to Petit Trois Le Valley during opening week, they were doing the same thing. Once you get inside and order, the food comes very quickly.

4 Likes

Excellent to know. Thank you!

This is a smart decision by the chef, but the people waiting in line are still dumb, in my personal opinion.

I guess it depends on where you want to do your waiting. For me, I’d fine an “upfront” wait to get in but then being served quickly to be okay b/c I can decide from the outset if I want to wait.

I’d be super frustrated if I get in quickly and then had to wait forever to be served and to get food (esp for something that I presume should be relatively fast, like a pizza).

Went to Roberta’s for lunch today. It was 3/4 busy but had no line. The service and the wait time for food definitely left something to be desired. Took the runners a good 10+ minutes to bring water. Even though there were ample tables our first dish did not arrive until about 25 minutes in and it was the pasta which is surprising because I would imagine the other dishes have faster/0 cook times.

We had the bee sting - the dough and crust were very well done. Great chew but not too crunchy. However I didn’t get a ton of honey flavor. I expected the pizza to be sweet and savory but maybe they go light on the honey🤔

Also had the market tomato’s in raw cream. heirloom cherry tomatoes in cream and some olive oil. Quite tasty but nothing super special.

The pomodoro spacatelli was delicious rich tomatoey sauce which clung very well to the long folded ribbon strands that were still al dente. Favorite dish of the meal.

Finally the porchetta that came with navy beans and broccolini. A very generous portion of porchetta but the meat was a tad dry and the skin while crisp still had a little chew to it indicating that that hadn’t done a great job of rendering the skin or drying it out properly.

All in all it was a solid meal and a good addition to Culver City as there are a dearth of fun/good food options but it was not a home run for me. Next time I’ll probably just stick with the pizzas and pastas and if there was a line I would turn and run the other way.

1 Like

Picked up a couple of pies to go yesterday. No pics unfortunately, but both were cooked perfectly with wonderfully crisp yet supple crusts that traveled surprisingly well. Bee Sting was great but the standout was the Porchetta – a white pie with little crispy pieces of porchetta. So good!

If I had one criticism, it’s that the pies lacked the smokey flavor of the popup. Otherwise, however, the textures and flavors were exactly as I remembered them.

1 Like