Persimmons

i love them thinly sliced in a salad - pairs great with bacon!

1 Like

I have this salad saved to try -was trying to find out where I grabbed it from before posting but f it. here it is

Winter salad of bitter greens and persimmons with pumpkin-seed vinaigrette

Serves 8 to 10

For vinaigrette:
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, to taste
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup pumpkin seed oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Forsalad:
1/3 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
8 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and sliced
6 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated, then cut in half lengthwise
1 small head radicchio, torn into leaves
1/2 pound baby arugula
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

To make vinaigrette: In small bowl, add shallot, orange zest, orange juice, red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. Whisk in pumpkin seed oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

To make salad: Toast pepitas in a small saute pan on medium heat until golden and aromatic. Allow to cool.

In large salad bowl, place persimmons, endive, radicchio and arugula. Season with salt and pepper. Add enough vinaigrette to dress lightly. Toss in pumpkin seeds, and serve.

3 Likes

Hah! This looks like a great salad recipe @aaqjr. Wish I’d seen it before making this kinda similar one. I would’ve added a few of your components. I actually have pumpkin seed oil and pretty much always have pepitas. Saw a recipe w/endive but didn’t have any. I also ran out of red wine vinegar but am on a buying freeze until I can see the contents of my cupboards without pulling everything out!

Little Gem Lettuce, Beets, Fuyu Persimmons, Blood Orange, Naval Orange, Grapefruit, Watercress, Chèvre (Goat Cheese), Dressing of Olive Oil, Citrus Juice, White Balsamic, Champagne Vinegar, S&P.

P.S. @Nemroz My sister lets them get really soft (possibly freezes them?) and makes Persimmon Bread for holiday gifts. I think it’s basically a banana bread recipe but with persimmons.

2 Likes

Salads and baked goods use different kinds of persimmons.

1 Like

Yah, I was thinking she probably uses Hachiya because they get more custardy on the inside. I’d ask her but she’s not making anything this year and definitely is not in the mood for questions. :laughing: Happy Holidays!

1 Like

My god the hachiyas I picked up at the farmers market yesterday…unbelievably good.

1 Like

if i leave my fuyus alone to ripen they get just as soft as hachiya. the difference is that i can also eat them crunchy but you cant eat hachiya crunchy

4 Likes

Oh good @bruins. I got Ken’s Top Notch Hachiyas in my farm box yesterday. They are really soft!

2 Likes

Shunji San has Fuyu Persimmon on his menu. He picks them up from SMFM. His Fuyu from 3 weeks ago:

Fuyu persimmon has a flat tomato shape and Hachiya is more like acorn. See @TheCookie photo!

Growing up in Asia, my four year old jungle self was so used to snacking on them in grandma’s garden.

Firm Hachiya was awfully astringent and inedible, but they ripen very quickly burying inside a tub of rice (I still ripen fruit this way to this day). The soft and jelly like interior, when ready, is juicy and delicious, much sweeter than Fuyu, almost like a jam, but has an uglier exterior/skin at that stage.

Fuyu can be enjoyed while it’s still firm and pretty. A perfect contender for look and taste to present the beauty of this season:

Last night Fuyu appetizer was a beautiful vegetarian pairing with Shimeji Mushroom, Ginkgo Nut, Green Beans with Tofu Dressing (Shira-ae) and chestnut shavings!!! I forgot omg!

A few weeks ago, Fuyu was paired with :shrimp::shrimp: :shrimp: and Green Beans with Tofu Dressing (Shira-ae)… Both versions were beautiful in its own way :two_hearts:

I personally enjoy Fuyu variety more for its firmer and crunchier texture. It’s not extremely sweet, which is the way I prefer fruit to be, pleasant, not too much of anything :balance_scale: Could possible growing up with all Hachiya and I got very tired of it :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Good story @Armillaria. One of the things I love about FTC. Thanks.

2 Likes

Puree with olive oil and season to your liking. Serve it with burrata along with seasoned slices of persimmons.

3 Likes

had a delightful persimmon salad at mentone: burrata, prosciutto, persimmon, pistachio, and focaccia.

4 Likes

How about a Persimmon shrub for cocktails or Italian soda

3 Likes

first thing i’m excited about !

2 Likes

Good one. Can you do it with fuyu or hachiya persimmon?

1 Like

I love how you can think of an idea, google it and there is already a recipe out there for it! Thinking hmmm I bet persimmons would be great in a Tarte Tatin, except I think it would be better with some kind of whole wheat crust

3 Likes

Either one should be fine!

1 Like

I’ve also seen persimmon clafoutis, too.

1 Like