Pho Viet Cali - excited to have a new favorite Vietnamese shop in the valley (SFV)

Since Song Phat sold we haven’t had a favorite go to in the valley and just opted for standards such as So 1. Took a chance on a shop that came up with some stellar google pics and boy are we siked about this.

Bun beo was really nice here. Even our kid ate a bunch of them up. A bit thicker than Song Phat did but lovely with plenty of dried shrimp and fried shallots. Topped with some chili in fish sauce it’s a winner.

Pork spring rolls were so nice we got 4 orders to go. 2 to share and 2 to take with us to Playboy Jazz fest.

Also got a grilled pork and shrimp paste standard dish with rice for the kid. Pork was very nice with the trademark charbroiled flavor and aroma (sorry no pic)

the big winner though was their seafood soup noodle… we opted for the one that had the broth filled with shrimp, squid, fish ball and real crab served separately from their noodles… this was a first for us and those dry seasoned noodles, with their toothy, springy texture and amazing saucing was a revelation. almost got a 2nd order but we were rushing off…

very fun rowdy crowd watching penalty shootut between Korea and Cameroon there. can’t wait to return and get into their tapioca noodles etc… a bit of a generalist i suppose… they appear to have everything other than banh mi.

2 Likes

looks reasonably legit

1 Like

yea not the chop but you get the point… shrimp paste on sweet stick as well

they got that banh xeo too (from yelpz)

I love a good tapioca noodle. They call that hu tieu dai…literal translation “chewy noodle.” It’s great in a seafood-based noodle soup or dry with a light tomato sauce and broth on the side…a la Hu Tieu Thanh Xuan on Bolsa in Westminster.

3 Likes

Hey Tran. Yea I’m really into that thick chewy noodle

Second visit was even better. Really wanted to feel the burn so Chef brought me out the nuclear chili :hot_pepper: chopped up . The seafood pho is a stunner. Never really had fresh :crab: meat in those

Bonus, server is a gooner and was super excited about my kit

4 Likes