Picketing at Cafe Gratitude

I don’t watch him anymore because he’s just using his show to promote his views now.

But these vegans certainly prove his point don’t they?

1 Like

These vegans no more prove his point than he would prove a point that all meat eaters are intolerant and violent.

You don’t have any problem with this?

“Death threats were left at the couple’s Be Love Farm in Vacaville”

As I’ve explained, I don’t condone death threats in any context, vegans against meat eaters or vise versa. I also don’t condone condemning an entire group of people for the actions of a very few of those group.

Do you not have a problem with meat eaters who threaten vegetarians and vegans?

Can you provide an example of a meat eating person leaving a death threat on a vegans doorstep because the vegan likes to eat vegetables?

2 Likes

That is why I was careful to emphasize and say these particular vegans.

And @Ns1 beat me to it but I do not see meat eating people leaving death threats on the doorsteps of vegetarians or meat eating people trying to pass law prohibiting vegans from eating particular vegetables.

It is very clear that most of the posters here have no desire to understand how vegans feel, they just love to hate vegans. Why would you condemn all vegans because a few allegedly left death threats on someone’s door? The only evidence of those death threats is the word of people who have much to lose monetarily by angering vegans.

I read two of Anthony Bourdain’s books and he does threaten and condone violence against vegetarians. Would you like me to judge all meat eaters as violent? Do you condemn all Christians because of the shooter at Planned Parenthood? Do you condemn all Muslims because of the San Bernardino shooters? No entire group should be judged by a few outliers. By far most vegans are peacefully practicing their lifestyle, just like most of any group.

1 Like

I don’t find it surprising that vegan restaurant owners who moved to a farm would learn about the role of animals in traditional farming and understand that it’s healthy, ecologically sensible, and not cruel to eat eggs, milk, and the meat from animals that have to be put down anyway.

The sanctimonious animal rights fanatics who are picketing the restaurants have not thought through their beliefs regarding domesticated species.

5 Likes

But if you find out that you don’t agree with some general ideas of a lifestyle you simply go to another business which fits your philosophy and you don’t protest in front of the restaurant. A business owner can change his/her lifestyle and a customer can choose a different business

2 Likes

I would find it surprising if the owners of a vegan restaurant didn’t eat mostly vegan food.

Comparing them to the owners of a kosher restaurant presumes that they opened vegan restaurants because they think eating meat is immoral rather than simply because it’s healthy and good for the environment.

1 Like

Robert,

Really, that’s the best you can come up with? In the linked article it says that the owners of Cafe Gratitude decided that it made sense to eat meat when they had to kill a cow; nowhere does it say that they’ve limited themselves to eating meat from animals that had to be killed.

It is incontrovertible that climate change is in large part driven by meat eating, specifically cows, which means it is not ecologically sensible. Even Michael Pollan and Mark Bittman have come around to this view. Therefore I think vegans may have given as much thought to their beliefs as meat eaters.

Once again, I’ve seen many meat eaters on this and other food message boards insult vegetarians and vegans; I’ve never seen the reverse.

Robert,

Orthodox Jews don’t think that eating food that is unkosher is immoral. Jews are prohibited from enforcing the laws of their religion on those who are not of the religion.

Strawman argument and not fact based.

Just because you say so? Where is your evidence?

You made the “incontrovertible” claim.

Based on what I know about science and global warming on an planetary scale and timeline I doubt your claim that global warming is driven by meat eating.

I would like to see these incontrovertible facts.

I linked mine. Where are yours? “Based on what I know” doesn’t count as a fact.

@maccrogenoff - All good points. You might be getting a little carried away with the “vitriol leveled at vegans” part though. I think vegans & vegetarians are making a smart choice. It’s just not my choice.

I thought the same thing.

I think everybody realizes Anthony Bourdain is a humorist.

2 Likes