Pimento cheese

What’s the trick to making this taste right? The variations among recipes are mostly different proportions of sharp cheddar, cream cheese, and mayonnaise.

First, hand shred the cheese—some finely, some coarsely—for the best texture (a food processor will get the job done, but don’t cheat with the pre-grated stuff). Second, pick jarred pimientos that are diced, not sliced.

I lost my PC recipe when CH went under but this sounds close. And I seem to remember that half was FPd and half grated. I served this at a family potluck a few years ago and I was the only Southerner. They went nuts over this and the bowl was quickly empty.

I prefer the style with no cream cheese myself and use this as a jumping off point although i generally like the food processor. Plus I’m a big fan of Scott Peacock and was lucky enough to live by Watershed for a bit.

Pimento Cheese

Chef Scott Peacock of Watershed – Decatur, GA

Adapted by StarChefs.com

October 2007
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

• 2½ cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated and brought to room temperature
  • ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Salt
  • 5 or 6 turns freshly ground black pepper
  • ¾ cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 3 Tablespoons roasted red bell pepper, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped

Method:

Stir together all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl until they are well mixed and creamy. Taste carefully for seasoning and adjust as needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Remove from the refrigerator 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Use as sandwich spread for grilled cheese sandwiches or serve with celery sticks.

2 Likes

I am quite fond of this version, https://www.zingermansroadhouse.com/2010/01/zingermans-pimento-cheese-recipe/. I have made it using pimentos, Trader Joes jarred roasted red peppers, and my own roasted red peppers. Pimentos came in last, and Trader Joes beat out my home-roasted peppers.

Hey, I grew up in Decatur, GA!!! Fun.

1 Like