Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

Cooked two parcooked pies last night. Put them in at 700 instead of 600 and they came out with perfectly crisp crusts. Only took a picture of the first one. I brushed it with garlic oil which is visible on the peel.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips. What temperature do you cook at when you put the cheese and toppings on?

My crust looks awful in that picture because I’ve been using metal tongs to move the pizza around. Do you use the wooden Ooni pizza peel to move the pizza around in the oven? I usually rotate the pie 90 degrees 3 times to get 1/4 of the crust closest to the fire.

1 Like

I have a Roccbox so I use their peel to pull the crust out and turn it either by hand or with tongs. I may eventually buy Gozney’s turning peel. I turn by sight; if the edge closest to the flame is getting too dark I turn. Depending on temp that’s generally every 30 to 40 seconds.
I have been parcooking at 600, then topping and cooking at 700.

1 Like

In the Roccbox the thermocouple is mounted under the stone.

Made a Detroit pie in the Roccbox the other night. I have vacillated between cooking Detroit pies in the Roccbox or on a steel in the oven. Gozney calls for cooking the pizza for around ten minutes at 572F, Detroit Style Pizza Recipe | Gozney. I found this to cook the top too quickly even on a low flame. Doing it on a steel in the oven doesn’t give as good a texture as the higher temp Roccbox. This time I kicked the Roccbox up to 680F, shut off the gas, and let the bottom cook for five minutes. Then I lit the oven and cooked the pie for three minutes under a high flame; reversed the pan and cooked another three minutes. Came out almost perfectly. Next time I will leave it for another minute or two before I turn the gas on.
I used Peter Reinhart’s technique of putting half the cheese on while the dough rises. Really gives a nice crisp texture to the bottom of the crust. Cheese used was Murray’s Butter Kase, a high butterfat cheese with a slight funky flavor. Its the closest substitute for Brick Cheese I have found in LA.

9 Likes

With the special pan, 15 minutes in the oven at 525° fan works perfectly for me. You need time for the cheese to melt off the butterfat and the crust to fry in it. I think butter kase is 50% butterfat and brick cheese is higher.

1 Like

That looks perfect!

1 Like

@ebethsdad - thanks in advance for buying this book and giving us the cliff notes.

7 Likes

Unfortunately Amazon shipping gets delayed and delayed - looking forward to use it soon. Hopefully it is as good as the original one and the bread one.
eGullet has already a first discussion where people start cooking from the book

1 Like

eGullet is still active?

Senior center dance party active but yes. Mostly pastry and baking, then cookbooks & kitchen consumer.

I think there is a lot of valuable information on egullet so i try to post every once in a while so it doesn’t disappear completely

Like all discussion forums (including this one) they have a loyal core - it’s still a good forum if you look for more cooking/baking related topics (for some of bread baking/chocolate/ice cream making discussions some experts are also participating)

1 Like

Hmm, maybe if we all take up a collection and split the cost I will be glad to take possession and produce the cliff notes…

1 Like

So i wanted to challenge myself to make pizza with stuff i had in my place and bit buy anything else. The dough was frozen in September. The sauce was made with tomato paste, cheese is ends of Gouda and manchego and left over coppa and salami for the topping. Ended up adding a little extra cheese i use for quesadillas on top

465 for 5min in my O’Keefe and Merritt then 2 minutes under the broiler

9 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Reheating comparison

1. Cast iron skillet with lid on low temp. The bottom gets a nice crunch and the toppings heat up well.

2. Toaster over at 400 for 7-8 mins. The bottom does not get as crunchy but the cheese gets a better ooziness and pepperoni is crisper. You can see the flop on this slice. The pics are deceiving for both methods.

I think the cast iron method is the best but I might stick under the toaster oven at toast for a minute or so.

4 Likes

I reheat pizza in an anodized aluminum Calphalon Kitchen Essentials saute pan (black pan with a glass lid). Heat it for four minutes on medium, reheat a slice or two for four minutes, uncovered. The toppings get plenty hot enough.

I see pizza, a lot of pizza, in the future

7 Likes

Nice! You listening to the podcast?

Definitely give us tips!

3 Likes