Pizza - recipes, equipment, tips & techniques

The Italia Squisita videos where the Italian pizzaioli comment on various pizza how-to videos and show how they do it themselves are great.

Recipe is

Bread flour
10 % whole wheat flour
78 % hydration
2.3 % salt
0.5 % IDY

Autolyse for 6 hours
5-6 coil folds over 3-4 hours at 65F
10 hrs at 50F
Portion and shape
8-10 hrs at 65F
Bake ~22min at 475F

Sorry if this was covered. I guess I should have read the thread all the way through.
What’s a good inexpensive pizza peel? preferably with a longish handle.
ThX

This looks like the one I bought.

Thank you! ordered!

Making pizza tomorrow in my Ooni. Going to use the Serious Eats NY pizza dough recipe but this is clearly the most important thing.

10 Likes

Glad you got your oven! Please post pics on how it turns out.
My best pepperoni pizzas have been either with Boar’s Head unsliced from Ralphs or an artisan brand from Epicurus (Epicurus definitely superior).
Hope it turns out great!

1 Like

One more thing - you are probably all over this, but New York pizzas bake at around 600 for 6 minutes while Neapolitans are 900 for 90 seconds.
Best of luck!

Some coal-oven NY pizzas reportedly cook at 1000°.

Yes different temp setting are very important but I almost overlooked until I saw Kenji Instagram video yesterday where he cooked NY style pizza at 50% heat on his Ooni for a longer cook. Thanks.

1 Like

Anxiously awaiting your results. A friend just got an Ooni and we’re about to break it in.

The Ooni is great and I would highly recommend. Very used friendly and makes great pies. My dough was not great. I must have not bloomed the yeast, didn’t overnight proof or not enough hydration.
350g flour half bread and half AP
190g of water
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil

The pizzas tasted good but didn’t get any rise. I goofed and forgot to make the dough last night so I had to use a different recipe. User error.

6 Likes

Snow, dogs, hot tea, one heck of an interesting knife, and pizza!
(@bbqboy posted this over on HO.)

2 Likes

Really cool oven. Really soggy pizza.

I think I’d be so enchanted by the process and surroundings that the pizza - warm and gooey carbs! - would almost be secondary to my enjoyment.

Any ideas as to what kind of knife she was using (the one that looked like a chef’s knife on one side and then the serrated-ish blade on the other)?

1 Like

The cleaver with a meat tenderizer on the other side?

cleaver

1 Like

Is that what it is? I can’t see clearly enough to make out the details. Thought that the serrated edge was for cutting - hadn’t considered it as meat tenderizer. Thank you.

It used to be a common thing for cleavers. I don’t know if anyone makes them like that any more.

1 Like

So, i was going for a fancy version of the cheap frozen pizza of my juventud -we usually had Jeno’s with the diced pepperoni and veg lol. On this i used a dough that I had portioned & froze -not a pizza dough but a from a Spanish pan de coca (same difference!). Topped it with shaved Muenster, diced Calabrese salami & momotaro tomatoes

9 Likes

We’ve been using the Ooni about 2-3 times per month. I’ll probably get killed on the board but I don’t think it’s worth the time and effort to make your own pizza dough. It may be marginally better but we can get very good pre-made pizza dough at Cortina’s in Anaheim. The pizza dough at WF is not great.

2 Likes