Pizzeria Bianco

Another great dinner on the books with @PorkyBelly! And @Hungrydrunk nice chatting with you!

@PorkyBelly and I made a fomo audible after seeing the table next to us get the antipasti and focaccia. We’d decided on the farinata and farmer’s market salad before pizza, but I think deep down both of us knew there’s more to life than just two starters.

The marinara add anchovies was probably my favorite of the pizzas. The simpler the better for me. Maybe next time I’ll do olives and anchovies, though that would make it a $33 simple pizza :sunglasses:

That said I would get the Rosa and Wiseguy anytime. The onion and pistachio on the Rosa took the flavor lead, with the parmigiano reggiano hiding under the surface, enhancing the nuttiness of the pistachios and the sweetness of the red onions.

The Wiseguy, man, those roasted onions and mozzarella really set a nice stage for the fennel sausage. The fennel was subtle but also kinda like pop rocks in that it was present in little bursts.

IMG_5127.HEIC

IMG_5128.HEIC

IMG_5129.HEIC

IMG_5132.HEIC

IMG_5134.HEIC

IMG_5135.HEIC

IMG_5137.HEIC

I rolled up to Kato around 8:30. The NY Times was in there filming some kinda piece. I heard the guy said it might be out in three or four weeks.

Shochu Sour to Boba to Julep

The sour was liquid candy, as it should be. This was shaken with sugar cube melon but they’ll be moving on to grape soon.

After that it was down to the Green Swizzle or Julep. Austin said to go with the Julep. I coulda drank that damn thing in one sip.

iichiko satin shochu, salaries gentian aperitif and dolin blanc vermouth shaken with sugar cube melon, lemon and calico
IMG_5138.HEIC

IMG_5140.HEIC

2002 Paul anheuser riesling, tequila ocho reposado, avua amburana cachaça and amaro notion sqizzled on crushed ice with helena apricot, black vinegar, almond and lime
IMG_5141.HEIC

16 Likes

Must’ve just missed you guys our rez was for 815.

We had the farinata, seasonal salad as starters. Pizza ordered was the rosa, wise guy, and sonny boy. That salumi and cheese plate looks awesome will have to go back for that.

Pro tip you can go halfsies on pizza.

Loved the farinata texture was crispy yet soft and the olives packed a great flavor punch. Olives are one of the few common foods that I generally do not like but both the olives in the farinata and sonny boy were delicious.

Whomever was doing the finishing salt got a little heavy handed on the fennel and melon salad a couple of bites were pure salt. But the less salted bites were great.

Pizza wise I preferred the sonny boy and rosa. Great crust and well balanced flavor. I felt like ten wise guy was a bit heavy loved the smoky onion did not like the sausage. Felt that instead of sausage a an acidic element plus a different less chunky meat selection would be more preferable for me.

Melon sorbet is a must get as previous posters have mentioned. Lemon cookies were his mother or grandmothers recipe, Bianco was very nice and came over to our table and chatted for awhile, super friendly guy.

18 Likes

where were you sitting?

Outside on patio

1 Like

better make your reservation now

2 Likes

Lunch yesterday - I must have subconsciously planned for the netflix bump

Veggie slice and Sicilian slice

5 Likes

Looks beautiful. Starting to watch the series. Love it .Our outdoor pizza place up here . I order off the menu. I just have them cook the pie with nothing else than a small amount of tomato sauce on it . No cheese or other adulterants. I bring anchovies from the Monterey bay . Thawed and cleaned. Drizzle of lemon . I place a few over the pie after it comes out of the oven . This is my absolute favorite pie . I admire Chris Bianco. The product of one’s man genius.

3 Likes

FYI New Chefs Table on Netflix with Bianco.

3 Likes

completely booked

7 Likes

Glad we were both able to get in a visit before it was popping!

1 Like

Liking the series… watching the series from Sarah Minnick out of Portland. Answered my question. Why do you always have to put cheese on pizza. I always thought putting cheese on pizza was ridiculous. Sometimes yes but not all the time . She came up strong with the answer.

Went tonight without a reservation about 20 min before opening. Took about 80 minutes to get a table for 2, by the time we sat they had stopped taking names for walk ins. Got the antipasto, farinata, sonny boy, and sorbetto. Saw the market/melon salad at the next table and they’ve changed the presentation to be thin strips of shaved melon from what I can see. Sonny boy was a highlight, less salty than I expected with a big hit of the sauce at first bite. Olives were not very salty which helped keep it balanced because the soppressata was salty enough. Sorbetto is now strawberry and quite good with an unexpectedly dense, rich texture.

No walk ins at the bar area yet and no takeout at dinner. They are still trying to staff up the front of house before they can expand seating according to Chris (who is so nice in person), looks like they posted about open positions on instagram today.

Pre bang at Kato is a good option while waiting, but the menu has gotten much smaller if you’re not having the bar tasting. We also had to leave by 6 for their first seating, it seems they aren’t saving any seats for walk ins once the reservations start rolling in.

11 Likes

is the melon/fennel salad just melon, fennel, mint, olive oil?, salt?

Also noticed at lunch you can order the six whole pies from the dinner menu

3 Likes

You don’t (notably marinara), but some things just roll off if you don’t. What was her answer?

1 Like

when did you see that? I was there friday afternoon wilting like a petunia and only the lunch pizzas were available.

3 Likes

Oh really? It was on a separate sheet of paper when I went on Tuesday, not the main menu

You could also do half and half pies for a flat price of $34.

Maybe it was a short, get the new kitchen trained kinda thing. A friend had done a split pie at lunch as well a couple weeks ago

2 Likes

Who wants to have a lunch date?

4 Likes

are you sure it wasn’t referring to the whole 18 inch “nyish” pie that you can order by the slice at lunch? $34 is the price for a whole ny pie, the smaller dinner pies max out at $27.

1 Like

There was a mix available of whole pies priced between $27 and $36. Some were like $30, or $34

I assumed the $34 was a catchall upcharge, and possibly if you order both the $36 pies as half and half they would just charge you $36.

I’ve been wrong before though :rofl: I’m most likely wrong here

You gotta understand I was pretty high and had been riding my bike in 90+ heat

6 Likes