Pizzeria Mozza

2 Likes

the marina del rey settebello is reinventing itself now.
windows are covered with brown paper.
the menu will be redone.

there is no telling what the place will be like when they reopen.

I liked Settebello when I was in Vegas 5 yrs ago . Its California not Rome or Naples . Seems like a down hill slide .

Def luv Mozza…Def not Neapolitan

1 Like

Wow, interesting mystery, westsidegal…I may have to contact my sources…or is that sauces…

1 Like

About two weeks ago, the L.A. Times offered this:

Neapolitan pizza restaurant Settebello is now closed after six years in Marina del Rey. The space will become a new Mediterranean restaurant called Terzo MdR from Baltimore chef Brian Lavin, and is expected to open this summer.

13455 Maxella Ave., Marina del Rey, instagram.com/terzomdr

1 Like

The struggle is real…:joy:

7 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Piazza Mozza

Chilly Al Fresco at Pizzeria Mozza

Our fam had a somewhat disappointing experience dining on the patio at Pizzeria Mozza. The food & wine were good. Menu has been paired way down (pasta gone, meat entree gone, chicken wings gone, one of our favorites the potato egg pizza is gone but you can add an egg to any dish for $3). Service was lackluster.

It was 40 degrees and they sat us under a heat lamp with a really low flame. While the limited heat lamps were in full-force at other tables our tank was nearly empty. Our server said the policy is to wait until it’s completely empty before changing. Mm hmm… did I mention it was 40 degrees? They finally changed it after a couple reminders. It never fully warmed. So unlike our outdoor experience at Cento Pasta Bar recently. None of this seems to be hurting business as they were packed inside & out when we got there.

The wines were good with generous pours but we had to ask our server for the wine as he only offered us water “still or sparkling?” He returned with the water and asked if we were ready to order food. Ummm no…

Vermentino di Gallura DOCG “Branu” Surrau - Sardegna ‘21 / Primitivo Salento IGT “Critera”Schola Sarmenti - Puglia ‘20

Insalata Tricolore, Parmigiano, Anchovy Vinaigrette

Snowy green mountain of goodness. Love the punchy anchovy dressing.

Burratina Pugliese, Semi-dried Tomatoes, Garlic Toast, Olio Nuovo

The smooth, creamy, fresh burrata. The punchiness of sweet, acidic, semi-dried tomatoes & garlic toast, all drizzled w/olio nuovo. Sooo good! :hearts::blush::hearts:

Meat Lover - Bacon, Salame, Fennel Sausage, Guanciale, Tomato, Mozzarella

I had a bite of hubs Meat Lovers. Yum. It’s all his favorite things - smokey, kicky, porky, pizza. He ordered a side of sauce which was great for cornicione dipping.

Fennel Sausage, Panna, Mozzarella, Red Onion, Scallion

This was the only full slice of pizza I ate. Crust was great. Center was a little droopy in a good way but with the big sausage pieces I was prompted to eat it with a fork & knife. :shushing_face: I like the tender & crumbly sausage. It’s fennel sausage but what stood out to me was the distinct flavor of cumin. Delicious. I’m not a big sausage eater but I’d order this again.

Fontina, Mozzarella, Sottocenere & Sage

I didn’t try it but it looked yummy.

No sideways & under photos of the pizza as I really wasn’t in the mood.

The waiter kinda pulled himself out of his funk towards the end of our meal but again didn’t ask if we wanted dessert. We did. He did do us a solid by insisting we take the last roasted d’anjou pear dessert which was incredible. :drooling_face:

Warm Roasted D’Anjou Pear, Hazelnut Brown Butter Cake, Hazelnut Honey, Vanilla Gelato

This was something new they were trying out but is now on the menu. One of the best desserts I’ve had in a while. The warm pear is everything! And with the hazelnut brown butter cake, sauce & cool gelato. :kissing_heart:

Butterscotch Budino & Cookies

I didn’t completely trust the waiter when he raved about the pear hazelnut cake, so I also ordered my favorite budino. It’s still great. :hearts:

I’m not over PM. It’s still a good neighborhood place and a good choice for going out with friends & fam and because of the outdoor patio it’s now easier to get a resy. But I need to temper my expectations of the current menu and also not book in the winter if only the patio is available (and probably the hot summer months too).The patio is probably lovely on a spring night.

Happy Eating! :pizza:

13 Likes

Food looks fantastic but that’s a lot of service miscues

1 Like

Yeah it was odd. I was perusing this thread and apparently we weren’t the only ones who’ve had lackluster service at PM. :thinking:

1 Like

crazy to think this restaurant is only 3 years away from being two decades old…

3 Likes

Wow! I didn’t realize it’s been that long!

Did we just miss each other last night?! There was Sergio sighting.

1 Like

We were there last Saturday. No Sergio sighting.
How was your dinner?

I enjoyed it…it was solid but Pizzeria Mozza loves dropping everything down quickly…not much pacing to speak of honestly.

2 Likes

Join the club. We had a pacing problem too… a slow one. Salad and burratina came quickly then we waited forever for the pizza.

1 Like

and Pizzeria, Osteria and Chi Spacca are still pumping out good food, overall. (Pizzeria Mozza in Newport Beach is not good tho)

4 Likes

I kinda feel like that’s why they paired down the LA Pizzeria’s menu - they’re running two other restaurants on that corner and there was probably some repetition. This is more efficient.

Mentioning Newport. I haven’t been but checked out the menu when doing my report and noticed it’s bigger and closer to the original LA menu which makes sense as it’s only the one pizzeria. Too bad it’s not as good.

3 Likes

Butterscotch budino now available in gelato form.

https://www.nancysfancy.com/flavors/

1 Like