Places that annoy me: Lodge Bread

If you refer to the OP on Lodge that Jase started, photos def show what you mention.

Photo 2 is bordering on the darkest Iā€™d fine still acceptable, and the loaf in the upper half of Photo 3 looks great. Photo 1 is too burnt, IMHO, and I donā€™t like how burnt the edges of the seams are in Photo 4 (although hard to tell how the loaf is in general b/c some of the seeds are also black).

Called this out in my post back in April

1 Like

Agreed! I havenā€™t been back to the Emperorā€™s New Bakery in months.

So bummed the Blue Bottle/Chad Robertson Deal fell apart.. A couple of hits from the main deck guns of the mighty U.S.S. Tartine would take these bros down a couple of notches. :smirk:

Also, no Craftsman and Wolves.

My brother asked Chad about their LA update and he told him hopefully next year. No one is more eager about Tartine than me.

2 Likes

Thanks, fingers crossed it happens.

My wife wants cheese for dinner. Need a good bread, right? We were close to Lodge today, so I dropped by to see if they had a round that would work for us. About 6-8 breads were on the rack, and I asked the person for one with the least char. This one somewhat reminds me of the original versions.

The other breads were varying degrees darker.

1 Like

Nice! Please let us know how it turns out (flavor, inside, etc.). Which flavor did this end up being? Multigrain?

So youā€™re saying politely that the other loaves were what most people would considered burned? :frowning:

I asked, ā€œSo this the seededā€¦ā€ :thinking:

The counter person said, ā€œYes - the seeded.ā€ :nerd_face:

ā€œOh - OK - the seededā€¦ā€ :thinking:

'Uh huh, the seeded." :nerd_face:

So my assumption is itā€™s their basic ā€œcountryā€ loaf that has been finished with seeds. :relaxed:

1 Like

Varying degrees of burnt. The loaf in my pic has a slight char along the very top of the ridges. The others were baked to the point where the char had spread across the smoother areas of the crust.

Ideally, being there in the first half of the day would have given a better sampling. I was there around 2PM. I donā€™t know if the remains rounds are ā€œthe last kids on the.playground to be picked,ā€ or if my round is the rare one that is purposely finished, just entering the char zone, for the more timid folks like me.

The bread was top notch as usual. Five of us ate the bread - all approved. No acrid/harsh flavors. The bread had a full, nutty flavor from the roasted seeds. Chew was wonderful and just moist. Slightly sweet and just a little sourdough tart as the bread was chewed.

I tried the darkest portions of the crust and depth and complexity of flavor is what I kept getting. I ate the bread with camembert, sharp cheddar and scamorza cheeses,as well as four different salumi and prosciutto, and itt was wonderfully hearty with it all.

I think the next step is to go a tad darker to see how that turns out. On one hand, I have to go with my senses. But on the other hand, the folks at Lodge obviously know bread better than me.

Thanks @bulavinaka.

One other question: Did you eat the bread ā€œas isā€ or did you try toasting it?

Because one popular form of consumption with bread is to toast it (make homemade garlic toast, or a bruschetta, etc.).

I wonder if Lodgeā€™s inherently dark / already near-burnt bread would end up being burnt even if you lightly toasted it at home?

We ate it as is. Iā€™ve applied olive oil with a little salt and briefly toasted slices or chunks in the oven in the past.

The interior on this loaf seems not as moist as ones in the past. Posters Sgee and aaqjr had described the interiors as, ā€œwet and gummy,ā€ which I also experienced to a certain degree in the past. But we didnā€™t sense that on this experience.

I think their bread toasts up great FWIW but I do it in a pan or griddle with a little butter or EVOO. Cant say how it would do in a toaster oven

1 Like

I usually pour some evoo on a sheet pan, smear around the slices or chunks of bread in the oil, sprinkle a little salt and slide it in the oven at 450 for 5-7 minutes. Just depends on the level of moisture in the bread. Sometimes I will instead finish with Maldon salt. I have not tried the broiler.

I have done what you do on a cast iron skillet, or on the BBQ grill if I happen to have it going - these results are more to my liking. But with 4-5 mouths to feed, this can be time-consuming for something with a very small window for optimal taste/texture. The oven method is a lazy manā€™s compromise - I can be very lazy.

@J_L That looks perfect to me!

A loaf of Lodge Bread country loaf. I donā€™t think itā€™s burnt at all, I think itā€™s perfect. :slight_smile:

And Iā€™ve never had a problem with the service, everyone has always been nice to me.

Here is one of the owners teaching an apprentice how to shape the loaves for proofing. So fun to watch.

3 Likes