Planning a week in LA

You might want to look at Birch (Brendan Collins place in Hollywood) and, since you are staying Downtown, Broken Spanish and Redbird.

Hmm, how about Sausal, Kinjiro, and Broken Spanish? And if you’re a bread savant, how about Lodge Bread Co and/or Seed?

With that level of specificity, yeah, pretty much every single place in LA that serves foie gras does not serve it with maple syrup or strawberry jam. The only place I know of that serves it with strawberry jam is Osso, can’t take the boring habits out of the NYC vets you know =P

Off the top of my head, if you want torchon/terrine specifically as opposed to seared you should try out Alma, Ink, or Bäco Mercat.

Bäco Mercat is doing one with berbere spices, pickled candied pear, harissa, and parsley right now.

Ink is doing one with persimmons, spiced bread, and kale.

Alma is doing a frozen foie gras with smoked maple, coffee granola, and carrots.

Maybe Alma is too close to maple syrup though.

Perhaps the Rebanada at Broken Spanish would interest you, essentially a terrine of foie smeared on pan dulce with piloncillo.

Sausal’s legit huh? What is good there specifically?

You took me too literally. I like my foie gras served the old-school French way, plain with toast, the only fruit involved the grapes that made the Monbazillac. I favor restaurants where the chef thinks that’s the way to go.

It won’t bother me if Terrine doesn’t have garbure on the menu, it’s just a good sign that he makes it well.

Here are some luv2eat posts

Republique. They have both terrine and seared.

The pastas may be the best that LA has to offer these days.

Service is old school french too. 3-5 hours the last couple of visits.

Kinjiro was the first new place I put on my list.

I’m staying near B. S. Taqueria and plan to go there. Besides the longer menu, is Broken Spanish very different?

I haven’t even schlepped from Berkeley to SF to try Californios or Cala yet, so I doubt El Segundo is in the cards. Clearly I’m not as into Mexican as I might be. Comal in Berkeley and Nido in Oakland are in my regular rotation and that sets the bar pretty high.

Great bread is a big plus for restaurants that serve it, especially with foie gras or charcuterie, but I probably won’t be going to any bakeries.

For smoked fish, Gjusta is worth the trip.

3 Likes

BS Taqueria and Broken Spanish are very different. BST is more casual, more tacos and other antojitos. With a few exceptions, the flavors and preparations are relatively traditional, but with higher quality ingredients.

Broken Spanish is more modern take on Mexican cuisine. The chicharron is probably my favorite dish there, and more resembles a porchetta. The camote with pig parts is amazing too. It’s a little more daring and more elegant.

1 Like

I have really been enjoing Papilles myself, Ink is always great to me. If Bestia is possible, that’s as good a time as you can have here. For other Thai options Pailin, Jitlada. I think Korean is a must here (Park’s maybe)

1 Like

The Gjusta smoked fish case…

3 Likes

Smoked fish and NFL playoffs go great together.

Smoked trout on everything bialy w/ herb cream cheese

Smoked hamachi on everything bialy w/ herb cream cheese

Not pictured: Seahawks getting destroyed in the first half.

6 Likes

@wienermobile have you tried the pastrami salmon?

Yes I have and it’s very good, but it’s a little over seasoned for me to order every time…

1 Like

Those of you really into smokes fish, can find them at fraction of the price in Russian shops up and down Santa Monica around Fairfax. Several species, not as pretty or perfectly smoked, but quite good.

3 Likes

Terrine doesn’t serve it with such grapes.

As was already said, Republique would be much better.

I also wonder if it’s just off menu, but I’ve had foie gras terrine at Petit Trois that seems to be what you are looking for as well. Maybe just ask for it while you’re there even if not on the menu.

I went to Bestia last time, it was excellent but nothing I can’t get at home except for the crowd.

Terrine has Vouvray demi-sec and Sauternes by the glass.

Republique has one foie dish with “winter orchard fruits” and another with “candied pecans, maple-ginger gastrique.”

Last year Petit Trois served me the best foie gras I’ve ever had in the US. I’m definitely planning to ask them if they have it off-menu.

1 Like

Plus 1 to this.

I will take it a bit further than @theoffalo and say that Broken Spanish is a bit like a more subdued Mexican equivalent of what (the departed) Red Medicine was to Vietnamese cuisine.

And I mean that in a good way.

That sounds like a dish with my name on it.