Planning a week in LA

That sounds like a dish with my name on it.

I think I’ll try Q Sushi since it’s near where I’m staying and I tend to like food that’s traditional to a fault. Any compelling reason to go for dinner rather than lunch?

+1 on @ipsedixit’s add-ons to his +1 to my comment. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a shot of the camote at a Tastemade event:

https://www.instagram.com/p/8CuWsvg-kZ/

Later on at the same event, I asked chef Ray Garcia if I could get extra offal:

https://www.instagram.com/p/8EQdpjA-sG/

The offal varies but it’s generally always pig snout + pig ear and/or pig tail.

4 Likes

They don’t have the churros. And you’ll want to get the churros.

1 Like

Churros are on the BST menu, but I have no interest in sweets.

http://www.bstaqueria.com/menu/

I believe the lunch omakase is slightly cheaper (by maybe around 40 dollars). And from what I recall of my two lunch visits and one dinner visit, the coursing and quantity is roughly equivalent.

I’ll be curious to see what you think. The first two times I went I was completely wow’ed and convinced it made some of the best sushi in Los Angeles. On my most recent visit, which was last week, I was considerably less impressed.

The coursing and quantity is the exact same for lunch and dinner at Q?? That’s unbelievable if so. Lunch is $75, and dinner is $165, over 2x the price!

If you go to the taqueria instead of BS, you should go for the beet torta.

Overall, hard to imagine not being much more impressed by BS than the taqueria though.

@onelabneh, I think “slightly” is an understatement. Last time I went to Q Sushi for dinner omakase (no extravagant “rare” items), it ran $250 per person! :frowning:

@robert to add my 2 cents, I think Q Sushi is a huge disappointment: Overpriced, underwhelming sushi. There was 1 piece of nigiri for my dinner omakase that I’d categorize as “great” (good cut, balance of fish and rice, taste), but everything else ranged from “ehh, it’s mediocre” to “sorta good / fine.” Two pieces of fish had the sinewy portion stuck to them.

For $250 per person, I’d rather go to Shunji or Mori and still have leftover change (not to mention far superior sushi).

A Yelp report from last month said lunch at Q was $75. Jonathan Gold said first courses plus around eight pieces of sushi at lunch vs. 16 at dinner.

Got it. Thanks for the correction. Last week for dinner it was $165 for the omakase without tax and tip. The two times I went for lunch was around 8 months ago and they had two omakese options: One for $85, which had fewer items, the other for $120 which is what I was referring to when I said it was roughly identical to my dinner omakase.

I would also agree with the previous posters that shunji or mori would be better options. Or Zo for that matter, which is downtown and close to you as well.

Their churros are pretty darn special though.

When will you be in town? If our schedules coincide on something, would be great to meet you and shake hands in thanks for all the great advice on the SF boards of that other site…

I agree. But do something more special like pork neck stew:

https://m.yelp.com/biz_photos/ham-ji-park-los-angeles-2?select=rOwkT6dJP0NddqSl_HJ_0w

1 Like

Or

1. Kobawoo - Ssam
  2. House of the Chigae - Budae Jigae & Pajeon
  3. Jang Choong Dong - Jokbal

I think LA has a better ‘ghetto’ street/truck Mexican scene vs. SF. Fun for an inexpensive evening taco crawl…

Just wanted to say that I love reading the LA board responses…you all are so incredibly knowledgeable and love reading all your takes on places to eat. . .

3 Likes

In lieu of Petit Trois (which I dig) and Terrine (which left me unsatisfied), I might suggest Papilles to satisfy your French-ish tastes. @TonyC might concur.

1 Like

His menu seems more or less similar to a lot of places in SF. There’s no shortage of French food here, just nothing as classic and simple as Petit Trois.

I know many here seem to like it, but, FWIW, I have had two very mediocre visits to PT and won’t return.
The “simple, classic” you seek certainly is well-written on the menu but the execution of the dishes is either not properly done - or, I suspect, varies greatly by the training (or attention) of line cook you get. Ludo cooks nothing - and seems to manage less there than his other places. The bread and butter is very good, but not much else. I had a dreadful soupe d’oignon - it would have horrified any Parisian bistro chef. Steak tartare was OK. Never had a croque (M. or Mme.) there but if they pulled off a great croque I would be in shock.

My son had the Croque and it was amazing. He ate it so fast I didn’t get a photo…but how about
looking at those snails once again!

1 Like