Please Share Your Best Green Salad recipes

man, this thread is hopping now. I thought it was a bust. No one replied. lol

my favorite trader joes salad. going to try to make at home.

3 Likes

À chacun son goût. That’s about what the first Mozza recipe calls for. But the second is 6:1.

I prefer my dressing less acidic as the 3 to 1 or more . Or sometimes no dressing at all .

coat the salad bowl with half of the oil you plan it to use you in your vinaigrette. it’s a thomas keller technique to help coat the salad more evenly. actually he mixes the vinaigrette beforehand, but i found i get better results when i coat the salad with oil before adding my acid.

the salad is simple:
2 bunches of kale, torn into bite size pieces.
2 apples (you can go granny smith if you want tart, but i like fuji’s myself), diced
4 tomatoes (plum sized) also diced
4 persian cucumbers, also diced
1 small red onion, also diced

assemble in salad bowl, add any other seasonings you like in your vinaigrette (i typically add basil and oregano) to taste. add remaining oil and toss until salad is coated. only then add your acid (i typically use rice wine vinegar) (3 parts oil, 1 part acid) and toss.

i’ve served this salad for years feeding the homeless. a lot of them typically don’t eat salad, but they all love this. it’s a riff off a recipe for kale-apple salad with a dijon mustard dressing that goes pretty well with ham.

1 Like

Salt?

…seasonings to taste…

Huh. Personally I want raw kale to be salted for a few hours before I eat it.

And personally I only salt a few minutes ahead or it gets too limp.

I like that salad, too. I usually add more arugula since I don’t think what’s packed in the box is enough.

1 Like

Japanese Cucumbers - sliced unevenly
Strawberries - sliced lengthwise
Mint - julienned
Kewpie Yuzu Kosho (the kewpie version is a little more mild but real stuff works too)
Wasabi Vegetable Furikake or sesame seeds

Combine dressing and cucumbers. Garnish liberally with the rest.

4 Likes

there’s such a thing? i want to try it on seared salmon belly.

well, a chacon son gout. the homeless love it as served.

(Their US website has a 626 area code, btw.)

1 Like

I recommend buying Kewpie and Yuzu Kosho separately and mixing to taste.
This product is available pretty widely.

Edit: I just reread the previous comments and I totally missed the actual talking point. I didn’t know there was a Kewpie Yuzu Kosho Dressing. Regardless, I would still recommend getting the actual Yuzu Kosho condiment and making a simple vinaigrette.

1 Like

I’ll pick some up and make a vinaigrette and do a side by side. I agree with you philosophically, but the ground down edges of the kewpie dressing somehow seem to work. Here’s a pic

3 Likes

That looks delicious! I am making this tonight. Thank you!
I don’t have mint, so will sub with shiso.

2 Likes

What’s in that salad? Strawberries and what? Is that mint and cucumbers?

I think that’s a photo of the salad @mrgreenbeenz described here:

A riff on a “Chinese Chicken Salad/California Chinese Chicken Salad” and a ramen coleslaw:

Shredded greens (I used cabbage and romaine)
Canned mandarin oranges, drained with juice reserved
Crushed ramen noodles pan-toasted with sesame seeds and chopped nuts (I had some pecans) (toss or save the ramen flavor packet)
Sliced chicken breast, pan-fried tofu, seared salmon, faux chicken strips (these are cooked to taste and completely optional)
Dressing: Neutral oil (I used extra light olive oil), mild vinegar (I used rice vinegar - apple cider vinegar also works), reserved juice from the mandarin oranges - whisk together and taste. Can add honey or sugar for sweeter flavor. I don’t add salt and pepper, but imagine others might. I think the original dressing might have called for grated ginger or candied ginger, but that might be a false memory.

This is easy, flavorful, crunchy, and very flexible. If you store the toppings and dressing separately from the greens you can get multiple meals, varying the proteins if you use them.

2 Likes

Thought this might appeal to you, @Luluthemagnificent, if you’re still looking for salad ideas. Looks like it would be fun to play around with the ingredients.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/salade-nicoise-mango-dressing/15780/

1 Like