Porridge + Puffs

Honestly, I did not expect to like it—all those ingredients just seemed so unusual for porridge (coming from background of typical Vietnamese porridges) but it does all really work and was delicious!

3 Likes

I just had it! Yep, it all came together. I’ll do a writeup soon. Thanks for responding @hppzz!

3 Likes

Awesome, can’t wait to hear your thoughts

1 Like

Porridge + Puffs

Hibiscus + Rose Shrub

One of their “Seasonal Libations - Tart, Sweet, Dry, Refreshing, Soothing”. I found it to be all of that, but not in that order. The sweet, refreshing punch hits the tongue & tastebuds, then tart, dry vinegar on the back of the throat. It was indeed soothing, unusual and very pleasant.

Savory Puffs

I agree with @Chowseeker1999. They’re good and good for dipping (the thinner pieces are less doughy) but don’t really add anything to the meal. Big A disagreed - he wanted more.

Amaranth Porridge - Amaranth Tempura, Morning Glory, Tomato Confit, Fermented Pennyworth Pistou, Okra Pickles, Myoga Pickles, Housemade Togarashi

We shared it as a starter. This was a special as they usually don’t do it for the dinner service, because it takes up 4 of their 6 burners to prepare and warned it takes a little longer. It’s worth it. Yep, there’s a lot going on but it’s all in harmony. For all those ingredients and flavors it was surprisingly subdued, just an interesting balance of flavors, textures, creaminess & sauce. The tomato confit is a must to brighten & contrast the herbs and creamy savoriness. If we shared it again I would ask for a little more confit for everyone to get a good dose of the tomatoey acid. You can add a pickled egg but this is a wonderfully satisfying meal designed for vegans.

Yakimiso + Sausage - Grilled Black Eye Pea Miso w/KnK Ranch Nectarines, Ginger & Aromatics, Numbing Spice Braised Pork (optional), Fennel in Black Bean Sauce, Rose-Geranium Onion and Celery Pickles, Edible Flowers, Negi Rice Porridge

This had a bigger complexity of flavors (imo) w/the black-eyed pea miso, numbing spice pork, fennel, ginger, rose-geranium onion and more. Very good.

Poultry + Mushrooms - Sweet Soy Braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Crispy Shallots, Celery Pickles, Seasonal Greens/Edible Flowers, Mirepoix Rice Porridge, Hibiscus-Shiso Pickled Soft Egg (optional), Housemade Togarashi

This is the dish of my poultry, egg, shroom loving dreams. The shredded chicken, sausage-like ground turkey, savory-sweet soy sauce, crispy onions, creamy, flavored porridge and Oh That Egg! This egg shouldn’t be relegated to the term “optional”, it’s a must. :kissing_heart: This dish is like the food equivalent of digging into a box and coming up with little treasures. If we lived closer it would be my weekend go-to for breakfast!

Yakimiso (minus sausage) - Grilled Black Eye Pea Miso w/KnK Ranch Nectarines, Ginger & Aromatics, Fennel in Black Bean Sauce, Rose-Geranium Onion and Celery Pickles, Edible Flowers, Negi Rice Porridge, Hibiscus-Shiso Pickled Soft Egg (optional), Housemade Togarashi

Seaweed + Mushrooms - Broad Bean & Spice Marinated Fresh California Seaweed, Miso Roasted King Oyster Shroom, Plum-Makrut-Daikon Pickles, Negi Porridge, Hibiscus-Shiso Pickled Soft Egg (optional), Housemade Togarashi

I did not try this but my son’s tiny, little girlfriend cleaned her plate before we were all halfway thru, so I think she really liked it. :wink:

I’ve read a couple minor complaints and seen the photos of the Porridge being a little stiff for some folks’ taste. Yes, it’s not soupy, but as you can see ours was damn near perfect. And I like how they flavor the cooking liquid to match the dishes. Yep, we liked it! :blush:

Brown Butter Mochi w/Miso Caramel

I’m also adding this to my fantasy, local, weekend breakfast. It’s like the mochi version of french toast, except not eggy w/a tendency towards flabby like FT. So good. :heart:

It wasn’t busy for a Saturday evening. I’m thinking (hoping) it’s because Porridge is more of a breakfast/lunch food and they do better business during the day, or just that September is a little slow for restaurants in general. Having no beer or wine doesn’t help. I didn’t check to see if they allow peeps to bring it in. The Parking is only slightly inconvenient. We parked at one of Tommy’s lots and it’s a simple walk.

I would like to see Chef Minh and her Porridge + Puffs stick around. It’s a really nice addition and compliment to our food scene.

$97.00 + Tip

7 Likes

Awesome review, @TheCookie! Looks scrumptious.

2 Likes

Nice review, glad you liked the chicken-mushroom and butter mochi. and damn those crispy edges remind me of the perfect brownie corner piece.

What did you think of the price and portions that the “self-hating racist asian yelpers” are complaining about?

2 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly & @attran99!

Good question. It’s why I included the price. Okay, so, adding up 3 soft drinks, bread service, 5 entrees & a dessert, divided between 4 ppl I get about $24.25 per before tip. Is this humble food prices? No. But factoring in L.A. rent (even in that ‘hood), the exceptional sourcing of ingredients, knowing how to use them, her creativity, her passion for each dish, bravery for opening a Porridge restaurant in L.A.! (or anywhere else really), plus her near flawless execution (those eggs!) and those flavors, and I say her portion sizes and pricing are spot on. The woman is trying to make a living folks… like everyone else!

P.S. She was there all night cooking & expediting.

6 Likes

Maybe not all that brave given the lines a mile away at Sqirl.

To me, that seems incredibly reasonable. The interesting ingredients and the fact they make everything in-house sounds like it’s worth it. It reminds me of Destroyer a bit, the focus and imagination. I’m intrigued.

2 Likes

Okay, I read @hppzz’s interesting thread again “When did ethnic foods become “so expensive”?” Great conversations btw. Anyway, I think Chef Minh heeded the complaints. Probably after her frustration (followed by a regrettable comment) subsided…

PorkyBelly’s

TheCookie’s

6 Likes

This is great perspective, @TheCookie!

1 Like

has anyone tried their “pinch” Thursday menu yet? it’s 20 cash, for 3 course meal depending whats available, in season, and what scraps they reclaim… haven’t seen any photos of it, but the price point is sure interesting in light of recent press.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0E8RM1B9K4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

5 Likes

great before and after

3 Likes

I’ll try to go this thursday will report back if I do. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

LoCarb and HiCarb versions!

1 Like

At Porridge + Puffs, Phan will also offer a $50 five-course dinner on Fridays and Saturday featuring ingredients made in collaboration with n/naka, including a house-fermented fish sauce made from leftover fish bones and green figs.

10 Likes

Five course n/naka x p+p dinner just dropped
@TheCookie, @attran99, @J_L, @aaqjr , @hppzz, @chinchi, @hanhgry, @Chowseeker1999, @Hungrydrunk, @noddles

https://squareup.com/store/finedining/

14 Likes

You scooped me! Just placed my order for Friday!

1 Like

Don’t forget to add an order of the brown butter mochi

7 Likes

Done! :partying_face: I wonder what it is!

Looking forward to Porridge Season Sets - love their porridge, loved JGold RIP, love Food Forward. A lot of :hearts:

3 Likes