Porridge + Puffs

I kinda want the pastry box, too!

3 Likes

We got the porridge + puffs x ototo dinner last night. No nice re-plated photos because we were starving and husband didn’t want me to take time to plate nicely.

Menu. They packed the meal in a cute navy tote bag with the logo of both restaurants, but be careful. It’s not color-fast. Some sauce leaked into the bag on my walk home and when I tried to rinse the tote bag, blue dye started coming off in the sink :pensive: I’ll wash it by itself in the laundry before using it again.

shiitake, eryngii, shimeji mushrooms, soft Meiji tofu, and Japanese eggplant
They’re not heavily seasoned but add just enough flavor naturally to complement the rice porridge. (there were actually 2 containers of these but I only photographed one)

pickle plate with kabocha, radishes, watermelon rind/passion fruit, spicy cucumbers, red onion and rose geranium

Loved this. All the different textures, shapes and sizes of the pickles were great.

persimmon slaw
Very fresh tasting and the persimmons were a highlight.

porridge
Look at this giant jar of porridge! The jar is tilted in the photo but it was filled nearly the way to the top! It was piping hot even after the walk home from the restaurant. I think this is a 32 oz jar? As good as before.

Vegetarian yakisoba
My husband was on his way to demolishing this before I told him to save some for me. Noodles cooked just right, and the sauce was a good balance of slightly sweet with salty.

apple persimmon crisp with creme fraiche whipped ceam

I don’t know if you can tell from the photos, but this is a BIG portion. I was expecting something small. The oat crumble on top is delicious and I would eat that on its own. The apples and persimmons are baked nicely, and I cut through it easily with a fork. Not too heavy on the cinnamon or other fall spices, you can taste more of the fruit.

This was $80 for a meal for two (plus $12 for the yakisoba supplement) but it was well worth it because the portions on most of the courses were surprisingly big. I was not expecting to get such a huge amount of the porridge, yakisoba or the dessert. There were nice little touches, such as the gold colored take out containers, the tote bag. I liked the attention to detail on something as small as piping the creme fraiche whipped cream with a star tip-- it makes it look nicer than just plopping the whipped cream in the container.

16 Likes
2 Likes

It’s back

6 Likes

and it’s gone

http://www.porridgeandpuffs.com

1 Like

:cry:

Still pop-ups coming, though, right?

Damn I wanted that porridge but I hope she comes back better than ever. Sounds like she needs this time off.

1 Like

I know. One of my best bites of 2019…

Poultry + Mushrooms - Sweet Soy Braised Chicken, Mushrooms, Crispy Shallots, Celery Pickles, Seasonal Greens/Edible Flowers, Mirepoix Rice Porridge, Hibiscus-Shiso Pickled Soft Egg (optional), Housemade Togarashi

P+P also added a bright spot during the lockdown

8 Likes

She will be selling provisions prob starting august…so you can still get some things like the shrubs and other things that make PP great

2 Likes

Pickled watermelon rinds in passion fruit :heart_eyes:

1 Like