Porto's Buena Park

On opening day (March 1st) there were 1,500 people waiting in line for the grand opening. Heard there was no where to park and upwards of 3 hour waits. I love a nice cheese roll, potato ball and cuban sandwich but I’m not waiting in line that long.
[More than 1,500 line up for Porto’s official grand opening in Buena Park – Orange County Register](Portobello burgers are plenty meaty – Orange County Register
745373-family-first.html)

Has anybody been since the opening and can you provide some wait times?My parents said they are going to go next week right when they open at 6:30am. I’m sure it will be fine but I’ll post their feedback.

might as well just drive to burbank and then come back.

Or go to Downey. I’m sure that location is a little bit less of a circus now.

Seriously. I like Porto’s a couple times per year but not worth a Howlin Rays like wait time or any semblance of.

1 Like

Well, people do like a grand opening. They were also giving out gifts to the first 500 customers.

I worked near the Burbank one and lived near the Glendale one and as much as I loved loved loved their lechon sandwich with that garlic sauce, I still only went a couple times a year, and almost NEVER during lunch hour. I get that it’s crowded because it’s good (and fabulously priced) but I wouldn’t get near either place on a weekend.

I miss the banana chips. Someone should package those. They kick potato chips’ ass all the way down the snack aisle.

1 Like

Went today (Monday) at 1:45pm. I figured it would not be that crowded but boy was I wrong. This place is a zoo. Parking lot packed with cars hovering like vultures for the next available spot even with valet parking available. I actually found a spot within 2 minutes.

I didn’t expect to see ~75 person line queuing up outside of the bakery. I didn’t even bother to go inside to see if there was another set of snaking lines like Burbank.

If I were Mr/Mrs. Porto I’d go get some private equity funding and pop out another 25-30 stores in SoCal. They could be the Cuban 85 Degrees.

1 Like

Order your stuff ahead of time for pick up…I do a 24 hour advance order. Then add sandwiches et al when you pick up at the pick up counter. Makes my life much easier.
Or go to Downey.

Is there a separate line for call ahead orders?

There is a pre-order line. It’s usually in the back where all the special order cakes are. There’s still a bit of a line if you’re there on the weekend, but I think it’s significantly shorter than being out with the general population. While I’m picking up my pre-order, I’ll add sandwiches, snacks, etc. to my order, and they’re more than happy to add it and grab it for you. It helps to know what you want ahead of time without needing to stroll down the display counter. Another secret is the whole cake only line, where you can run in just to get a whole cake but they’re usually pretty cool about adding more stuff to your order. Again, still a bit of a line, but still less than the regular line.
A side note for pre-orders, you have party-sized cheese rolls, guava-cheese rolls, and potato balls available as an option. They’re half the size of the regular ones, and are perfect bites for a party. Since they’re smaller, they also cost a little less. Great for cocktail parties…hell, great for all parties if you’re looking for smaller bites.

1 Like

there’s a minimum for preorders though, at least for Burbank.

A side note for pre-orders, you have party-sized cheese rolls, guava-cheese rolls, and potato balls available as an option. They’re half the size of the regular ones, and are perfect bites for a party. Since they’re smaller, they also cost a little less. Great for cocktail parties…hell, great for all parties if you’re looking for smaller bites.

good protip.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I just called - was on hold for 7 minutes. The minimum phone order is 4 dozen items or a whole cake.

1 Like

I usually go all in the cake (since it only sets you back about $20…less if you go for the $13 Cuban cake)…and I think I’ve gotten away with ordering 2 dozen cheese rolls before. However, that’s the Downey location. Then, again, I often pre-order for family parties because my aunts, uncles, and cousins go crazy for the Porto’s treats.
Thanks for calling for clarification…I never knew about the minimum.

Makes sense. I want to try the berries and cream cake. I’d probably throw in a dozen cheese rolls and some potato balls. We’ll have to wait for somebody’s birthday or a party.

Heheh, I think the owners are already rich enough to be venture capitalists themselves…

IMO they became the Cuban 85’ as soon as they moved to a central commissary operation.

Went Thursday morning (today) at 8:15am after getting my car checked out down the street. There was almost no line. 4 people ahead of me, I like a very small number of things at Portos that they do well and rarely deviate.

Potato Ball - $0.84. How could you go wrong?
Cheese Rolls - very tasty. I think it’s their best item.
Milk N Berries Cake - first time having it. Tres leches cake with whipped cream and berries. Reminds me of a better less expensive lighter version of Sweet Lady Jane triple berry cake.
Elephant Ear - a big palmier. Not overly sweet bc there are no big sugar chunks on top. Crispy and crunchy.

3 Likes

by cutting the ground meat with olives. WHY PORTOS WHY.

I found two small pieces of olive in my potato ball. It didn’t feel like filler or detract from the taste for me. It actually added a nice little salt. Not sure if this is different from how they used to make the potato balls.

You never used to be able to taste olives.