Post Your Daily Sandwich

Highlight the reply you want to quote and click on the “quote reply” button that pops up. rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Highlight the first poster’s text and select “quote reply.” Type your reply. Then, before posting your reply, highlight the second poster’s text and select “quote reply.” It should appear in the same box with your other reply.

1 Like

Ok.[quote=“Bigmouth, post:50, topic:3052”]
It should appear in the same box with your other reply.
[/quote]

It did!
Thanks

3 Likes

Filet mignon panini, from Churros Calientes (West LA)…

As if it couldn’t get more crowded there already (le sigh)…

5 Likes

Loved that sandwich the 1-2 times I had it. Glad to hear it’s busy. I was worried when they first opened if they’d survive…

The Cubano: A thing of beauty, served with mariquitas (thin-sliced fried plantains) & mojo sauce (that’s one delicious way to get your mojo back). The background of the photo features include one of the best mango batidos (milkshakes) I’ve ever had, and a lardicrously good (and FREE!) toasted bread & bean dip to boot…

Habana Vieja Cuban Cuisine And Cafe
1648 W. Carson St., Ste. B
Torrance, CA 90501

14 Likes

Yeeeeeeeeees

1 Like

We’ve enjoyed Habana a couple times - never had that delicious looking Cuban though. Just wish they were closer in proximity to our home.

1 Like

Made it to Cemitas Poblanos Don Adrian in the valley last weekend. We ordered the adobada and the milanesa head cheese combo. Loved the flavors and textures here. Everything really well balanced. We got both kinds of cheeses on both sandwiches. It is an extra $2.10 to get both cheeses, but the sandwiches are still a great deal.

4 Likes

Curious, did you cemita come with that very pungent, green herb? I ask because I recently had a cemita and said herb overpowered the entire sandwich.

I love papalo, the herb you were referring to. You can ask them to refrain from putting it on your sandwich.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of papalo myself and always get my cemitas without. I think my reaction to it is probably close to how some folks feel about cilantro (which I like a lot).

2 Likes

Yeah. That stuff is potent as heck. After I took some out it was fine but there was so much it overpowered the cemita.

1 Like

It’s so true that papalo is an acquired taste due to its pungency, @LAgirl and @A5KOBE. I usually go to Cemitas Poblanas Don Adrian with my in-laws and husband, and my MIL and I always order cemitas with papalo, but my FIL and husband steer clear of the stuff.

1 Like

Was playing Uber-dad and ended up in Santa Monica around noon which meant changing hats to ChowNow-dad and grab lunch. Ended up at Viet Noodle Bar on Pico (former LA Bites location) and picked up three of their sandwiches.

Spicy sardine, chicken and turmeric fish sandwiches. Pretty much Banh Mii in spirit. Bread was fine but not crispy like Vietnamese baguettes. The carrot/daikon could use more pickling for my tastes. The chicken was eh. The spicy sardine and turmeric fish were quite good. I actually wouldn’t mind if the sardines were more sardine-y. They are minced along with some sort of chile/condiment, making the sardine less pronounced. Thanks @CiaoBob for mentioning this place.

5 Likes

They have a sign up that says it’s seasonal and only then will they have it. I’m sure you can ask them to leave it off.

It is very similar to cilantro. It’s funny because cilantro is the one food item I cannot abide by, anything else I can eat or tolerate or work around. Cilantro not so much.

However the first time I ever encountered Papalo was at Bricia Lopez’s (of the Guelgetza restaurants) original cemitas sandwich in Huntington Park… I was instantly enamored at how the herb brought another dimension to the sandwich. But I do vaguely recall that it was only a small amount and it complimented rather than overwhelming the sandwich.

But the quality of those cemitas was fantastic and I’m sure the herb was very fresh which would make a big difference.

3 Likes

me too—but at her cemitas shop in Ktown (which unfortunately no longer exists). When I bit into my cemita and tasted the papalo for the first time I wasn’t sure what I was eating–just that it was a weird flavor getting in the way of my enjoyment of the roasted pork. Luckily I was w/ a friend of mine who is originally from Mexico City and she explained that papalo is the typical herb that goes on cemitas. After she identified the papalo, I’ve made it a point to make sure it’s no longer on my cemitas.

yes, they were great cemitas and I wish the shop was still open. They made really good tacos arabes as well.

Glad you enjoyed it Bvn.
I like it but agree the sardine itself is kind of muted. I just cleaned 3 lbs of fresh sardines from Santa Monica seafood last week for a bucatini con Sarde - so I am extremely hip to the flavor when it comes out right.

2 Likes

Nice. Any pictures? If so, post on “Nobody Cooks in L.A.”

2 Likes

7 Likes